$$$ Expensive Plastic Plants

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
critterlover63
Level 2
Level 2

Does anyone know if one can purchase nice sized plastic plants anywhere besides the ones seen in specialty aquarium stores? I don\'t want to buy the ones at Walmart as they are cheap and have wire in them that will rust eventually. I didn\'t know if any other plastic plants would be \"aquarium safe\" and I would rather be safe than sorry in the long run but they are just so expensive. Any ideas? Thanks!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The aquarium ones are more expensive, but look really natural (I use them as well). You could try to pull the wires out of the cheaper ones at Walmart, but I`m not sure how much of a pain that is (I`ve never done it).
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i\'ve bought some in a petstore but to tell you the truth i have never been in a walmart but maybe if they have nice aquarium stuff i\'ll go.
jumpinjupiter09
Level 1
Level 1

You\'ve never been to Wal-Mart!? I go there practically every day.

You could look for plants on Ebay. I know they have a lot of them. I don\'t know how good they are, but I imagine that if you clean them when you get them, they should be okay. It\'s worth a shot anyway. You\'d probably get them a lot cheaper.
critterlover63
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks!!!! Ebay sounds like an excellent idea! I did not even consider that! Appreciate everyones\' reply! I will probably go with the better made aquarium plants especially since they can be purchased at a better price on ebay.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I got some fake plants, but once I got ready to put them in I can\'t find them. I decided it better to just buy REAL ones. I got some anachris which my turt loves to hide in and munch on. This gives him something to eat between feedings and gives him something to swim in. I just let them float free, he loves it. The bunch were 1.99 at Petsmart and they last about a week or so. It gives the aquarium a cool look and provides him with food and a good habitat.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It`s nice if you can do that, but buying them all the time can get expensive (at least where I am) and my turtle would eat the whole thing if I left it in there (and make a mess). I use both, the plastic ones for looks/hiding/resting on and pieces of real ones given daily for eating. Some people use silk ones as well.
  • Information