Baby RES, worried about shell

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
tracey8051
Level 1
Level 1

I found a baby RES last week, not near water, probably because of a big storm we had, with flooding. Anyway, she\'s adorable and very active, she\'s eating well, too, but she has this brown stuff all over the top of her shell. Does anyone know what that is? Should I be worried? She\'s shedding, but I don\'t know if that has anything to do with it. She\'s about an inch and a half big. Never had a turtle before, so any help would be appreciated.
Tracey
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

First thing I would do is get a soft bristle toothbrush and see what you can brush off. Is the shell soft? There is a lot to caring for a baby turtle I have found. The best thing to do it READ READ READ! Check out different topics on this site and you may find the answers. Also here are some good links to help you out.
http://www.tortoise.org/general/watcare.html
http://www.angelfire.com/blues/coolsliders/health.html
http://reslider.free.fr/feeding.html
http://www.web.ms11.net/happyturtle/LIGHTING.html
http://www.beltonanimalclinic.com/res_turtle.htm
There are many. Just do a search in google.
Be sure to explore each site for different info. Mine is little too and I got him started off wrong and now I am trying to get his shell to harden. It is a lot of work and at times expense too, so be aware of what you are getting into. They can live 30-50 years! Good luck! ;)
tracey8051
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the links! I will check them out right away. I must say I\'ve learned more about turtles in the past week than I\'ve known in my entire life. Her shell is pretty hard, so I will try the soft toothbrush tonight and see what happens. Luckily, the work and money aren\'t really an issue since most of my time and money goes to taking care of all the four-legged creatures roaming my house anyway. Hopefully, it will just slough off when she sheds, I just don\'t want to wait to find out in case it is something else. Well, I\'d better get on that research. Good luck with your little guy!
Tracey
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

Especially when they are shedding RES\'S shell become really sensitive. Especially in between the plates. If you do it with a bristle toothbrush it is not good. I forgot why but I read it somewhere because it is hard. You should wet a soft rag, towel, or cloth with warm water and kind of rub the shell. I hope this helps. Write back and tell me what happens
love always,
helen mai
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The brown stuff is probably a type of algae, which is often found on wild turtles. If the shell underneath is healthy, it should be OK to gently clean it off with a cloth, or very soft brush. Their shells are sensitive.
tracey8051
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, I think it was algae. I used a soft cloth and a lot of it came off, but I left the rest since she is shedding and I can see where her scutes??? are about to shed off. They are lifting up a bit at the edges. She is soooo cute and considering her appetite, I think she seems pretty healthy.

Does anyone know if I should try to get another one? Are they happier with friends or are they more solitary?

Thanks for all the help!
Tracey
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

If you wanted them to mate then you should get a guy of course. When they grow up the guy one might bite her or force her to mate. If you want just a typical friend than you should get a female. =]
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I wouldn`t make the determining reason for getting a second turtle to be for your turtle to have a \"friend.\" Some people do keep more than one turtle and have no problems. That said, however, turtles do very well by themselves. Some turtles are fine together when small and then become agressive as they grow, often necessitating that they be separated (double set-up). You never know. You would have to plan for a much bigger tank size to accommodate them as they grow assuming they can remain together.

If you do chose to get another turtle, though, you should quarantine it for at least 90 days (longer is better) to make sure it doesn`t have anything contagious. A check-up by a vet would be good. Turtles should be of comparable size to avoid bullying.
tracey8051
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Mariza,
I wouldn\'t have thought of the quarantine myself, but that sounds like a good idea. I wouldn\'t want anything to happen to the one I already have. I haven\'t had her long, but I\'m already attached.
Tracey
  • Information