winter hibernation

Post any questions you have about a turtle outdoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your outdoor setup picture we would love to see it.
tomr

I also have recently started a pond, it is about 5,000 gals, and at a depth of 3 - 3.5 ft. I added 2 (i believe red ear sliders) to the pond. They are approx. 4\' in length and look healthy. I live in Long Island NY.
A) One turtle never seems to leave the water.I see it scurrying about on the bottom, but never sunning itself with #2, is this a sign of a sick turtle ?
b) I have no mus on the bottom of my pond, they seem to favor the holes in a cinder block is this sufficient for the winter?
c) How can I tell if they are in hibernation, or when shoud I stop feeding them ? in the mornings now (mid 50\'s) I do not see them on the surface.
Thank you,
Tom
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

is there a heater in your pond? if youn want them to hibernate you\'ll neeed mud for them to bury themselves.I suggest you read up more about this.
tomr

Thanks sbturtlegrlz6, there is a minimal amount of mud and leaves. the problem now is they rarely come up to the surface.
Is there an artificial substrate I can use instead of mud?
Thanks,
Tom
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Someone else posted a question about out door hibernation under the general discussion forum. There are some links in it that may be helpful.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

no prob you might be able to use sand
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

the thing u said about not sunning isnt a prob. 2 much sunning . but thats like 24/7. and the hibernation thing i think the other ppl got ya covered
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

and u said i believe RES. do they have red ears. (red, pink, orange) then ya.
KELLY
Level 2
Level 2

tomr wrote:
I also have recently started a pond, it is about 5,000 gals, and at a depth of 3 - 3.5 ft. I added 2 (i believe red ear sliders) to the pond. They are approx. 4\' in length and look healthy. I live in Long Island NY.
A) One turtle never seems to leave the water.I see it scurrying about on the bottom, but never sunning itself with #2, is this a sign of a sick turtle ?
b) I have no mus on the bottom of my pond, they seem to favor the holes in a cinder block is this sufficient for the winter?
c) How can I tell if they are in hibernation, or when shoud I stop feeding them ? in the mornings now (mid 50\'s) I do not see them on the surface.
Thank you,
Tom
KELLY
Level 2
Level 2

I have 2 res in outdoor pond. I live in virginia. It has been cooler now and they usually do not come out in the am, too chilly. But sometimes i see them in afternoon when sun is out some. If they are sick i honestly do not know. All i know to check my res for is the basics. Clear bright eyes, clear nose, alertness, ate well through the summer, defecating ok. The only way can tell if defecating is by looking in filter when i clean it, filter pads all black and nasty. If health in doubt bring to vet for basic check up. Only healthy turtles should hibernate.I use sand in my pond bottom, they dig themselves in during winter. As for feeding, I feed every couple days, if they eat, ok if not ok. I let them be the judge. Usually i can tell if they are starting to hibernate is when they refuse goldfish (their favorite)I hand feed them goldfish sometimes. Mine have been outside for three years with no problem. Make sure during winter if pond freezes over break up the ice with broom handle, pond must not stay frozen over. Good luck
  • Information