I found a turtle in my pool

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.

I found this very small turtle in my pool, a few days ago. I think it is a slider??? I have no idea what a slider is, only what I saw pictures on here that might look like him, but, he is really small. It is smaller than a half dollar, and it has a small red stripe near it\'s ear, if, they have ears... I don\'t know what to feed it... I bought some \"reptile\" sticks, but, I don\'t think it is eating them... I also have some freeze dried blood worms...

I also don\'t know, if it should have access to a dry area, and also a wet area, since when I found him, he was diving to the bottom of my pool, and seemed to like the water.

Any information would be appreciated as how to take care of him.

Also, are these the turtles, that years ago, were sold with paintings on them, and then they later said they carried some sort of a disease?
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

it\'s definetly a res. they are a lot of work but fun(i have ten) by the way how are these ppl finding turtles in their pool wouldnt the die b-cuz of the clorine

Thanks for all of your replies.

I am sure it is a red stripe slider. Since I have looked at the sites that you posted. He is about the size of a 50 cent piece, maybe just a little bit smaller.

Do they still sell this type of turtle in the pet stores?

What should he be kept in an aquarium, or do they make special tanks for turtles? I need to get to the pet store.

I think he just fell into my pool. Luckily, the filter was already off, and I must have found him when he first fell in. I don\'t think the clorine would hurt him, though, as my cats drink out of the pool all of the time, and I have 7 of them.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You can get an aquarium. Go for bigger if you can (20 gallon). He is small now, but will grow quickly if given proper care. Some people also use things like Rubbermaid storage containers as alternatives to tanks (cheap and easy to clean).

You will also need a submersible water heater (water 78-80 F), an easily accessible basking area, A UVB light (important for shell), a heat source (can be a lightbulb or basking light). Basking area should be 85-90 F. Also a filter unless you plan to do really frequent water changes (every other day) and cleanings. A hide box and plastic plants (no wires) provide privacy and cover. Check the links for additional information. Reptomin Baby is a good pellet to feed him.

RES (red-eared sliders) are sold in pet stores, but must be a least 4 inches. Babies are sold illegaly at places like flea markets. (I think information on the pet trade was in one of the links given you.)
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

yea i bought my two res at pet stores and eight baby res in chinatown
  • Information