Out Door Hibernation

Discussions about turtles.
buddybear
Level 1
Level 1

I have a red ear slider, Sammy, she\'s aproximatly 11 inches long and about 5 years old according to the vet (who is not a turtle expert). Sammy found me on the road after being hit by a car 3 months ago. She is now doing well and has her own out door pond build especially for her which she shares with some small monnows. It\'s about 175 gallons and at the deepest end, it\'s about 18 inches deep. There is a bio filter, pump and fountain. Question: How, and when do I begin the hibernation process. The pond has a liner so she can\'t bury herself. I read somewhere that a litter box and litter can be placed at the bottom for this and if this is true, anyone know what kind of litter? Do to her injuries, in which she lost a foot, she can not be returned to the wild so I\'m trying to provide the best life for her that I can. Any help, suggestions, are greatly appreicated.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You might want to look at http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/hibernationpaula.htm for basic guidelines as well as do a search on your own for more detailed information.
buddybear
Level 1
Level 1

Mariza:

Thanks for your help, I\'ve printed out all the info on that web site and have alot of reading to do. By the way, I also read what you wrote to Belle about fungus, and if its\' green, it`s not harmful. And that wild turtles often have it as a form of camoflage. THANK YOU! I\'ve asked this question in other forums and no one had been able to answer me. Sammy does come out of the pond during the day, but most of her time is in the water, and sleeps under water, thus she has green algea on her back. (Wheeew!) listen to my sigh of releif!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Fungus is not the same as algae. I am assuming the shell is otherwise healthy (hard, no white fuzziness, pitting, etc.). Then the algae shouldn`t be a problem.
Last edited by mariza on Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buddybear
Level 1
Level 1

Yea, I guess I mean algea, not fungus.. Yes, the shell looks healthy otherwise. She has two chips in the center from that were caused by the auto accident but the vet said they were not a problem.

I read everything in the web site you suggested but I still did not find the answer as to how to hibernate her in her pond. There is a liner so she can\'t bury herself. I really need to know when, and how I help her hibernate. We live in mid Texas so it doens\'t snow here but it has been known to drop to the mid 20\'s in the coldest of the winter here. Please help
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

heY should my turtles be hibernating they live indoors and are fine but will they be okay if they dont?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
buddybear
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks again for your help and I guess the very last line of the web site you directed me to gave me the answer. Basically, unless I\'m an expert, which I\'m not, I should not attempt to hibernate Sammy. There is so much conflicting information out there. Some sites say it is very important to do it because if you don\'t it shortens the life of the turtle, others say, it\'s not necessary. Either way, I guess what I need to do is begin creating an indoor set up, perhaps in my garage, to bring her in if the temprature drop. Thanks again for your help!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I`ve read that for some species, hibernation is necessary only for breeding but for RES it`s not even necessary for that. Many people don`t hibernate their turtles because they`re afraid they won`t come out of it, and I confess I`m one of them. You`re situation is different in that you have a turtle that I assume has been hibernating. Since she was injured you might consider not doing it this year, doing more research and finding some reliable information on the subject and have things set for her next year. You also could get some opinions from different turtle forums. I don`t think if you didn`t hibernate her for one winter it would hurt her, though. Just make sure she has a proper habitat until spring.
  • Information