Fungus fear

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Belle
Level 1
Level 1

Last month my Female slider(Timmi) caught a small patch of fungus on her back. I treated it and it hasn\'t come back but I\'m afraid to leave her in the water all the time now and bought her a pet bed with a basking lamp for her to sleep in (of course I turn off the lamp at bed time)she seems to be doing fine she eats and swims and crawls around the house. But is this ok in the long run. I have noticed that her shell is looking a lot pretier since shes been sleeping dry but beauty isnt everything I want to know whats best for her.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sliders are aquatic and spend most of their time in the water. However, they do need a proper basking area so they can get out and dry off, otherwise they are susceptible to fungus and shell rot. The basking area should be 85-90 degrees F, and your turtle should be basking under both a UVB light and heat source (basking light or regular lightbulb), or a combination UVB/UVA mercury vapor light. In addition to the basking, the water should be kept clean and changed regularly. If this is provided for a turtle, a pet bed, whatever that is, to prevent fungus should not be necessary.
Belle
Level 1
Level 1

A pet bed is a padded soft bed that is maily used for dogs and cats. I do keep her tank and basking area very clean but I made the mistake of buying a turtle ramp. The ramp got fungus underneth the rubber tred that didnt not die even after I soaked it in clorox so I had to throw it out. So the petbed will have to do till I can find a replacement for the ramp I just dont what to put my turtles health in jeopardy. Do you think sleeping outside the water will hurt her?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

She should be OK as long as she goes back in the water in the morning. Can she get on her basking area during the day? It`s important for her to be able to dry off and bask under proper lighting (UVB light and heat lamp), not just be dry at night. By fungus, do you mean algae (it can be green or brown)? If so, and if it`s green, it`s not harmful. Wild turtles often have it as a form of camoflage. From your other post, I`m wondering...was Timmi once wild?
Last edited by mariza on Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information