What do you feed hatchlings?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Belle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello today a baby slider about the 1.5in long found his way to my back porch. I have a 9.5in slider female already who eats mainly boiled chicken and feeder fish but she big and this one is so tiny I don\'t know what to do. Please help soon I do have them seperated for now. Should I put them together or wait and if so how long? I am also taking name suggestions. I think its a boy.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belle
Level 1
Level 1

Timmi(9.5in Female) is about 4 or 5 years old and Ive tried to get her to eat lettuce and different fruits but shes real picky she only like to be hand feed as well(except for feeder fish of course) but she is real active in fact today I found another baby turtle male about 3in and thought it was big enough to be in her tank but she started fighting with him (biting him) so I took him out. I\'m not sure if I should keep him cause he is bigger and so he maybe too old to be put in captivity. Do you or does anyone know It would help guide my decision. Thanks for you reply I just put some chicken in there for him I hope he\'ll eat it.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The size difference between the new one and yours is still too great. BTW, how big is your tank for the largest one? At 9.5 inches, it should ideally be around 100 gallons.

For feeding ideas, take a look at http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/turtlefood.html

The decision to keep the latest one is yours.
If you`re thinking of not keeping him, is he healthy so he could be released and make it through the winter (you said he was a baby)? Is there a safe place where he could be released? If you`re thinking of keeping him, can you provide a good home for him? If not, and you think`s too small/unhealthy to be released, would you be willing to put him up for adoption? The longer you care for him, the more dependent he will become on you/humans and should not be released. (Could he be an unwanted pet?)
Belle
Level 1
Level 1

Well I know for sure Timmi\'s tank is not 100 gallons but she can swim freely and I clean it all the time. As for the babies I just for Im sure they are wild turtle because there have been at least five of them that have come into my back yard. Behind my yard is a large ditch and I think thats were they are coming for. I can provide a good home for them I was however concern that they having lived in the wild the for I would say year or so of their live make it difficult to adjust to captivity. I had tried to keep a turtle that was about the size Timmi is now and she didnt make it. She died after only a few days. The baby turtles are very health as far as I can tell the are active and Im sure they could survive if released but if it isnt going to endanger they health I would like to keep them. By the way Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Don`t forget, if you keep the babies, they need all the equipment I assume your largest one has (heaters, UVB lights, etc.) for a proper habitat. Great if you have it, just reminding you if you don`t. :) And if you keep them, remember you have made a committment to them; don`t think that because they were once wild you can just release them if you change your mind.
Last edited by mariza on Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belle
Level 1
Level 1

I wouldn\'tdo that I know that turtles can\'t survive in the wild once they have lived a while in captivity I was wondering how old is too old to make a wild turtle a pet you know for health reasons. But I decided to keep them already and not to worry I have read all the care sheets and have the equipment for my turtle already and when payday come I\'ll get a good setup for the little ones but I\'m trying to keep them comfy till then.
  • Information