Need IDEAS!!! for helping hatchlings selling illegally!!!

Discussions about turtles.
turtlelover86

Today I went to chinatown again to see those hatchlings.
I found there were 8 chinese gift shops selling them.
Some of the stores looked ok... It had one or two hatchlings each container. But did\'t know if the hatchlings that they had inside the stores ok or not.
I saw a hatchling that was totally blind, had a open mouth, barely move. I thought it was dead at the first time, but then it began to move.
Two stores I saw were terrible. One of them kept a bunch of hatchlings in a little container. Another one was an old woman. She led a bunch of hatchlings(no less than 50) in a bowl around 8\"bottom 12\"top. I saw a hatchling was turned over, and I flipped it back. I realized it was dead. Feel really pity for those hatchlings, they probably died of starving. On my way home I thought about asking for that dead hatchling so I can bury it. But I was on the way home already. *Sigh* Everytime thought about that they going to throw those dead hatchlings to the garbage, felt really bad about it.

I wrote an email to the Animal Care & Control before. It didn\'t work. Any idea what else I can do?

New York City
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

[quote]u think thats bad. the plaace i bought mine at kept about 4o+ turtles in aa 1-2 gallon crittere keeper. some places are way worce. its really sad but if they arent selling the turtles to people like us then wat happens to the turtle...they r eataen. u could tell the chinese people that u\'r reporting the store and then they wont bring in the babies for a long time. or u could actually report them. but think about wat would happen to the baabies then. i\'ve considered reporting places but in reality the turtle could end up thrown away alive and i wouldn wanna take that chance
critterlover63
Level 2
Level 2

I am from Louisiana so I am not sure if this would help or not......... I would strongly urge you to contact you states\' Wildlife and Fisheries Dept. These guys are very strict about this sort of thing down this way... There is a very very stiff fine for this. I hope this helps. Poor little things. Some people are so irreverent towards lifes smaller creatures. Good Luck!!
turtlelover86

If those hatchlings get save, I don\'t think they gonna be release into the wild. Reptile rescue might raise them and adopt them out.

Really hope I can help them. Seeing them died that young, feel so pity for them.
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

aww that\'s really sad =[
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

That really upsets me too. These aren\'t goldfish they can live 30-50 years! It is illegal according to the Department of Agriculture to sell them that small. That is who you need to contact. They are responsible because in the 70\'s children would put small one\'s in their mouth\'s and end up with salmonella. I would get the addresses and contact the USDA.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i kno i went to one place and there was a tiny pucket full of like 80 turtles so i bought eight the guy put them in a lil food container like you would put a sandwich in but i could tell he felt bad now my babies are growing and eating and are so cute
  • Information