Best Source of Calcium?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
critterlover63
Level 2
Level 2

Hello! Brand new member here with a question. What is the best way to provide calcium to my 3 little 2-3 inch babies? I bought some of the powdered Calcium in a pet store but it will not adhere to the mealworms even if I moisten them first. It seems to all go to waste.... Do cuttlebones really work? Do turtles actually \"munch on these\"? Thanks!
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

My babies love the cuttlebone!! They eat it all up! You just have to take the hard backing off the back first. I use a knife and it pops right off.
critterlover63
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks Petunia89!!

Wal-Mart will be my first stop after I get off work tomorrow!
Appreciate your reply!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you use the powder, don`t use it with mealworms (mealworms are fatty and hard to digest--they should only be a treat). Moisten pellets and cover them with the powder, then let them dry. The powder will stick and some of it will be absorbed by the moist pellet.

Break the cuttlebone into small pieces so your turtles can eat them. Let several float in the tank.
critterlover63
Level 2
Level 2

OOPS! I think I have been feeding my turtles too many mealworms (too often). I usually feed them those around 3 times a week and the pellets in between. I will definitely try the soaking method. Thanks so much!
keithx
Level 1
Level 1

jack was trying to eat his rocks
so i had to go through and pick out the smaller river stones... he is such a brat.
he digs and knocks over everything in his tank. so i read that eating rocks means they want calcium. gave him some cuttle bone and broke off just the white part not the dark backing... he loves it.
critterlover63
Level 2
Level 2

I picked up a cuttlebone at a local pet store, peeled off the hard backing and broke it into tiny pieces. I lucked out cause all 3 of my baby RES LOVE it! Thanks for your reply!
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

thats good im getting some cuttlebone for my babiesi hope they like it
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

My RES won\'t touch the cuttlebone. He will eat most anything if I hand feed it, but even with it floating all day he never touches it. I just use the calcium powder (be sure it is phosphous free)with Vit. D3 and wet the pellets roll it and squeeze it on with my fingers. I notice though if I put it in, it sinks to the bottom and usually will float back up after a bit, if it doesn\'t get lodged in the rocks. I just usually feed it to him from my fingers.
  • Information