picky eater?

Discussions about turtles.
mrwiffle
Level 1
Level 1

Recently, my turt has not been eating like normal. I have raised her mostly on Reptomin,she really never wanted anything else. But all of a sudden she wont have anything to do with it. She will only eat those shrimp pellets off the bottom. Now she is shedding right now, so that\'s the only thing I can think of, other than that she acts fine. So i was wondering if her shedding has anyhting to do with it? Or is she just bein picky? Is this something to worry about? Thanks! :)
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

hehe I\'m not sure but I have two baby turtle and they are shedding and I use to feed them reptomin (the floating food sticks) and they only want those shrimp treat =/ Heheh
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Assuming it`s the scutes, is your turtle growing really quickly? What does her shell look like? Reptomin is fairly high in protein, shrimp is high in protein. Shedding is a sign of growth and a diet high in protein encourages growth (too high in protein will encourage too fast a growth--not good). Too much of any one food leads to an unbalanced diet. It would be better for your turtle if she had more variety in her diet, particularly in plant matter (aquatic plants, veggies). Take a look at http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/turtlefood.html for some suggestions.
Last edited by mariza on Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrwiffle
Level 1
Level 1

I have had her about 6 months, she was about 50 cent size when i found her. Now she is about 6in. long, 4in. wide.(about not exact) Is this growth to fast? oh, and her skin is shedding, her shell looks normal.
Sorry I left this out. :)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

This growth is too fast, even if she is a female. (Females tend to grow bigger and faster than males.) Fast growth isn`t good--it taxes the kidneys and can cause other health problems. It also can contibute to shedding; excessive shedding is not good either. In the wild at that size, your turtle would be several years old. Look that link for feeding suggestions.

Does she look overweight (skin puffing out when she withdraws her head and legs)? Feeding portion should be an amount that would be able to fit inside her head, not including the neck. Up to a year feed daily, after that every other day. See if you can get her to eat more plant matter.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

That growth is way o fast. i kno the turtle is looking at u with the pouting eyes but u cant overfeed him. let him eata as mmany pellets that would fit in his heada(all squished in) try healthier less fatty foods like romaine lettuuce ALWAYS ROMAINE!!!and most turtles love underwater plants.try different foods but not 2 much of one kind.
mrwiffle
Level 1
Level 1

Oh my goodness! I did not know that. I admit I always give in when she starts beggin, but No MORE! I will change things immediatly and try to get her to eat her veggies. Thank you so much!
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

wow that is big keep up with the veggies but you might wanna feed your turtle in a seperate tank b-cuz the underwater plants soometimes make messes
  • Information