UVB ??

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,
Is there a difference in getting a Gro-Lux bulb which is for stimulating plant growth and to use in tropical fish aquariums, price $6.99 to getting a Repti-Sun 8.0 bulb priced at $39.00? Does the Gro-Lux bulb emit the proper UVB rays needed for our turtles?

I am having a little discussion with my husband and he would rather buy the cheaper blub. He says that we are being tricked and that they are the same.

Please help us with this dispute.

Thanks to all who respond.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sorry, plant lights are not acceptable as UVB lights for turtles; they are different. There is a tiny bit of info about Gro-Lux at http://www.dagfinnur.is/eraduv.html which, if I`m not mistaken, says you will still need to supplement it with another light. It also says it`s a black light--why would you even want to use it? The Reptisun 8.0 is OK (even the 5.0 is fine and probably a little cheaper), but frankly, for the price you gave, you could get a combination UVB/UVA combination mercury vapor light which would do the work of two bulbs.

These are your pets; the vet bills (and heartache) you could incur by not providing them with the proper habitat would be more costly than the cost of a proper bulb.
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks again Mariza!
I had a Repti-Sun 8.0 and it blew out yesterday. went with the husband to PetCo to replace it and he was shocked at the price. So.....to make a long story short, I am buying the Repti-Sun through Reptiles Direct. They have the same blub for half price.
My husband read your post reply and he apologized to me and said to blame him for being cheap.

Thanks
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Reptiles Direct is supposed to be good for lighting (and other supplies). Buying on-line is often much cheaper that from pet stores.

Glad to hear your husband \"saw the light.\" :)
RESBOY619
Level 1
Level 1

what is the website for reptiles direct. also, how much was the repti-sun 8.0? petsmart only has the 5.0.
thanks
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

HA! HA!
Yes, he \"saw the light\"
I just ordered a bulb from Reptile Direct .
You are right, their prices are much, much better than Pet Smart.
They didn\'t have the 8.0 bulb so I ordered the 5.0 - 48\". I think that will be sufficient.

www.reptiledirect.com

Thanks again!
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i went on that reptile site and i wasnt that impressed i saw a small fluval under water filter for 20.00 and i bought mine for 10.00 but other things were okay
  • Information