Heater question

Discussions about turtles.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

I just got a new Visi-Therm Deluxe heater, I have to mount it sideways since it is too long for my water level. My concern is will the turtles burn themselves if they stand on the tube? I am going to see how hot it gets before I put them back in their tank, but I haven\'t had to deal with a heater yet cause the water has not gotten below 78, but it is starting to cool off now at night so for the well-being of them I want them to stay warm, but I don\'t want them to get burned either! Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you`re concerned about burning, buy a heater cover for it. They come in different sizes, so make sure you get one for the size of your heater. If you can`t find one, you could get some PVC pipe, cut it to the size of the heater and drill enough holes in it to let the water circulate.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

WOW! You are a never-ending source of info!! Thanks so much!! I haven\'t seen the heater covers, I will search for one and if I can\'t find one, then my hubby has a ton of PVC pipe!

Thanks again!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Petunia89, is the heater you have made by Marineland? If so I just happened to read that a heater guard/cover is made for it.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

Yes it is. Do you know where I can get one?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

No, I don`t. I just read that it was a plus for the heater that they made guards for it. If you bought it in petstore, check back with them, maybe they could order one for you.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

I bought it online at Dr. Fosters and Smith or whatever order their names are in. They didn\'t have anything listed. It doesn\'t seem to get really hot. I have felt it a couple of times and the heater tube itself just feels warm, but man is the water staying warm, I feel bad for waiting to get one!

Thanks again!
cajohnson
Level 2
Level 2

If your laying it on its side I hope its a heater that says its fully submercible? I just bought one for my turtles, but for the entire thing to be in water it has to be fully submercible.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

It is, that was one of the reasons I bought it. Thanks!
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

To look at what is available from Dr. Foster & Johnson and to find a cover for your submersible heater I am including the URL for you to go and look and find the heater cover http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/s ... CatId=3743. Hope some of this helps.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

I didn\'t see a heater cover...or did I miss something? Thanks!
  • Information