green on shell

Discussions about turtles.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

hi. my painted turtles have been really healthy. the water temp is fine.they have filter,heater,basking light.everything. lately i have noticed that my largest painted,chip,has a green kinda shine to his shell.u cant really tell unless she\'s under the light.she has been under the basking light a lot lately. she wont even come off the rock to eat unless i hold her and put the food in front of her nose.a few days ago she was foaming at the mouth kinda like a gel.i dont kno of ne vets near me. today i notised that its begining to happen to peewee my smallest painter.some1 please help.i\'m scared of loosing my turtles
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Have no idea about the green shine. What`s the breathing like (yawning/gaping)? Does the turtle swim tilted to one side? Any mucus coming from the nose? The foam from the mouth could indicate a respiratory infection. RI`s are contagious, so if it is a respiratory infection, your other turtle might have gotten it as well. You need to keep them warm and out of drafts/breezes. Water temp. 83-85 F, basking area 90 F or a little above. For a herp vet near you, try http://www.arav.org/USMembers.htm
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

by they way.maybe this will help.the basaking light is on from about 7am to 9pm
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

So what? What`s the temp.?
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

wen i wake up since i dont leave the heater/basking light on all through the nigh the temp is abou 74. right now thats its been on all day its 82
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

This is the basking temp.? For babies that`s too cold and probably why your turtles are getting sick. It get`s cold in Boston in the winter. You need to keep them warmer. Basking area 85-90 degrees F., water temp. 78-80 degrees F. Get a water heater if you don`t have one. Get a red-heat bulb you can keep on 24/7 for warmth.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

well i dont have a reg. heater. i have a basking light that is used to heat and provide ubv lights.how much does an uder water heater cost. can i leave the basking light on 24/7
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

i put peewee and chip in elles tank and put elle in the painters with the other 2.is this ok for temporary?just till w/e it is is betta
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You should not leave the basking light on 24/7. Your turtles need to sleep (would you like to try to sleep with the lights on all the time?). Get a red-heat bulb to keep on 24/7. It won`t bother your turtles when they sleep.
Last edited by mariza on Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

this is wat the box of the bulb says:

60 watt, full spectrum day light, heat lamp.,

about the ubb/a rays it says. has emmisions in the UVA wave legnths. UVB rays out put use ESU super UV or desert7 flouresant.reptile lamps.

so can i just buy a new bulb or do i need the whole light and clamp.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Your light is the 60 watt day lamp? If so, use it to keep the basking area warm. When it burns out, use a regular lightbulb, it`s cheaper and just as good. You should turn it off at night, though. If the air gets too cold (and it probably will in the winter), get a red-heat bulb instead, and you can keep it on 24/7.

Get a second clamp and buy an ESU Super UVB Coil Lamp. You need to use both. Reread my explanation in my last post if you don`t understand why.

You need a submersible water heater.
  • Information