Water changes

Discussions about turtles.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

I just bought a better filter (it actually works!) and started feeding my turtles in a seperate container. I can\'t believe the difference in their living quarters!! It is actually clean looking. Anyway, I gave them a completely cleaned tank on Saturday and have been suctioning out any turds that are hiding from the filter and it still looks nice. My question is how often should I completely dump and scrub their tank. I was doing it every 2-3 days cause that is as long as it could go without becoming really gross. But with the new filter and no more cricket legs floating around, I have nothing to go by. Thanks for any input!!

P.S. Their shells are looking so much better and it actually looks like the shell is going to start peeling next. Their little legs and other parts are done shedding.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Just because the water looks clean, it doesn`t mean it is (you can`t see pee and other substances that are created by turtle waste). I clean my turtle`s container weekly.
Last edited by mariza on Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks, I was wondering if a weekly water change would be frequent enough.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How big is the tank/container?
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

A short 10 gallon with about 3 gallons of water in it.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

BTW, you have two turtles in 10-gallon tank? How big are they? A general rule of thumb is 10 gallons of tank per inch of shell, front to back. If you have two 1-inch turtles, they ideally should be in at least a 20-gallon tank; remember, too, they will grow. You might want to consider getting a bigger tank/container like a Rubbermaid.
Last edited by mariza on Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

I will try the partial water changes during the week that is a good idea. I have a Rio 180 internal power filter...the guy at the reptile store said it is a bit overkill for my small tank but you need that since they are meesy little guys, so that is what he recommended, they use it in their turtle tank. At least I can use this one for the bigger tank, which is coming soon, the tank I have now was a temporary thing to get them out of the death bowl they came with and until I could figure out where I wanted to put them. They really seem to still have room to swim around and seem to be happy. I am planning on getting a nice huge corner aquarium for them and putting it in the living room so I can look at them all the time (I work at home) and they will be safe. A rubbermaid container will not work for me as I have a cat, a dog, and two small kids. So I don\'t think the turtles will be very safe with that kind of environment, but it is a great idea!

Well, we are off to the Turtle Doctor just to ease my mind that they are A-Ok and because I noticed a little poky thing on the botttom of one of their shells that I am not sure what it is and don\'t want to dig at it, and it seems to have gotten bigger. Wish me luck that it is something minor!!!

Thanks for all the great help!
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i hope it\'s ok good luck
  • Information