The mating dance!

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
grace cure

Has any one ever seen their red ear dance, mine must be able to see herself(when I got her I was told the RES was a she, after reading in the message board she could be a he.)She wiggles herself from side to side and after she does that she streches her arms straight out and wiggles them,very fast, then backs up and goes for air. It\'s incredible. So I\'m feeling as if she needs a mate. Her shell measures at least 6\" front to back. I don\'t know how old she is. She seems to have a long tail but I don\'t have anything to compare to. And her claws seem like they are quite long. So if anyone has any clues as to she sex and have seen that dance I would love to hear back. Thanks
heatherd
Level 1
Level 1

Yes you would be correct. That\'s the mating dance and it does mean your turtle is a male. How old is your turtle? How old was it when you bought it? It\'s very hard to sex young turtles. My RES dont do it but my painted does it to the other RES and he\'s a male.
grace cure

heatherd wrote:
Yes you would be correct. That\'s the mating dance and it does mean your turtle is a male. How old is your turtle? How old was it when you bought it? It\'s very hard to sex young turtles. My RES dont do it but my painted does it to the other RES and he\'s a male.
I don\'t know how old my turtle is. We have had her for about 6 years. I call her a she because I was told she was a she. Are you sure that males only do that dance? If so I\'ll have to chance her name. My turtle hasn\'t grown alot either in those 6 years.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

only males do the dance.
  • Information