Small Green Turtle

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
egkahn

When I was a kid I used to have these small green turtles, about 1.5 inches long. Then they became illegal because they supposedly carrried diseases. The pet stores stopped selling these turtles.

Last week I was in China Town in New York City and I saw these same turtles being sold on the street. I am assuming they were being sold illegally.

Can someone tell me what kind of turtle these are? I\'d like to get more info about their original habitate, what they eat, etc.

Thanks!
heatherd
Level 1
Level 1

I think you\'re probably talking red eared sliders. I guess they used to be called dime store turtles or something like that b/c you could get them everywhere for real cheap. Yes they are illegal now in many states and under certain sizes in places. In ohio here i have to have a license to keep them but it\'s well worth it :)
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

I live in NC and sale of turtles is prohibited. Personal sale is ok though. That turtle you were describing is most likely some sort of Slider. If it has an orange or red stripe it is a Red Eared Slider. There is many types of sliders yellow bellied slider. Alot of dif breeds
  • Information