fish

Discussions about turtles.

how big should the turtle be to eat fish?
AllTurtles
Administrator
Administrator

The turtle can be any size. Its just the matter of them catching them. You should get the fish that are smaller (usually guppies) if you turtle is small. A bigger gold fish may be too big.
OracleX
Level 2
Level 2

I started to give my turtles feeder fish around 6 months I believe. But never really got in to giving them to them till they were close to a year. I like to give them feeder fish that they can swallow whole rather than ripping them apart and making a mess of the tank. If they are too big for the turtles, the turtles will bite at them till they can't swim. Biting off bits and pieces of their fins. Once they can swim very well then they just chew them apart and tear them with their claws.

Now that my turtles are almost 3 years old we will throw in 13 large or small feeder fish and they will eat them in a matter of days. Usually over half in the first day. My turtle love fish. Usually have to vaccum the tank every day for about 15g to keep the tank nice. But it is worth it.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

hmmm...as far as i know they start eating fish as soon as they are hatchlings.
poohbear
Level 2
Level 2

The turtles start eating fish when they are babies but as they get older they start to become more herbavores.

my res are about 4 months old, i introduced goldfish feeders, but they did not touch it at all, are they too big foh mah turtles??
  • Information