why do they do that?

Discussions about turtles.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

heyhey my baby turties keep goin under the filter and it\'s drivin me nuts! it\'s an under water one and they keep tipin it and goin under neath it it gets me scared should i worry?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If there`s a possiblity they could get trapped under it, yes, you should worry (and change it so it will be safe).
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

I think they do that because they love to explore. My turtles do the same thing. I have a bunch of rocks stacked around the corner of the tank and they always knock them down and rearrange them. Whenever I put something new in their tank (I put in some spinach in their tank the other day and I also put in a cuttlebone yesterday), they always go to it and \"explore\" and I guess if it smells good, they\'ll start nipping at it.

My turtles also move their filter around. If it\'s like Mariza said, and they\'re getting trapped under there, then I\'d change it. What I do in my tank (my turts are about 5\" big and don\'t get trapped under the filter, even though they move it from one side of the tank to the other), is put a rock between the filter and the tank wall so that they can\'t move it anymore.

Hope this helps you out :D
Shai
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

thanx they can get in and out just fine so should i just let them?
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

ever since I\'ve had my turtles, they do that. One especially. It\'s wierd... If she is just swimming in the open, she is very afraid. But, if she is under the filter she feels safe. I can put my hand up to her or anything and she won\'t mind. Anywhere besides the filter though, she freaks. Just a place that she feels safe which is good. As long as it won\'t get stuck, let it be.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Try to stay away from spinach--very high in oxalic acid, which can inhibit calcium absorption. Dandelions, chicory, endive, romaine, etc. are better choices.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

sbgol,that is funny cuz my turtles do the same exact things thanx guys!
Abby
Level 2
Level 2

Hey guys my turtle did the same thing when I got a new filter and I couldn\'t stop being preocupied if it would get stuck. I put rocks around it and my turtle managed to move them and kept swimming and hanging on to the filter. Fortunately it doesn\'t get stuck but it still loves to play and swim around that area. Keep close attention when you put anything new in the tank. Good luck.
  • Information