Turtle Information

Discussions about turtles.
erin318

I am a college student looking to purchase a small turtle that would fit and be comfortable in my 1 gallon aquarium. Also, I would like to use the turtle for my 4 and 5 year old class for Vacation Bible School, so it would need to be a friendly breed. Are turtles harmful to children (I know there is something about them being poisonous)? Also, what would a good but not too expensive breed be? Please email any responses to [email protected]. Thanks so much!
Shelley

A one gallon aquarium is not big enough. I have 2 red ear sliders since they were hatchlings and even a little baby will outgrow that size of a tank in no time. Should be at least 20 gallons. Also I don\'t believe they are poisonous, however they can carry salmanella so it\'s important to wash hands before and after handling them. Children should not kiss them for that reason. Also the tank needs a good filter and a heater to maintain a 78-85 degree temp and the turtles need to be able to get out of the water to bask. The water needs to be deep enough so they have plenty of room to swim and can turn themselves over in case they tip over. Otherwise they could drown. They have lungs and breathe air And last, they need to be fed underwater as they cannot swallow unless they are underwater. Well......that\'s for a RES turtles. Perhaps someone knows of another breed I\'m not familar with. They do need alot of care. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Information