Just W ondering

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
turtlemommy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have 2 red ear sliders and i got them both at the same time but on is growing faster than the other and from what i read on here that the female grows faster than the male and the bigger res has longer nails and a longer tail and the smaller one all ways gets on the back of the bigger one and also when the 2 turtles are head to head the both have their legs pointing towards one another shaking them in front of each other i dont know what that means but if any one can help me out here i would gladly apprecaite it thanks alot, tammy.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

I would like to know what the shaking of the \"hands\" in front of the face is also. I have 2 baby RES (got them together at the same time) and one is getting bigger than the other and has started bullying the smaller one and when they are face to face the bigger one does that shaking of the hands in front of its face and then the other one goes the other way. Also when the small one is basking the bigger one comes and sits next to him/her and then pushes it into the water and takes its spot. The bigger one has chomped on to the other one\'s foot when it was doing \"super turtle\" while basking. I had them in a container together while I was cleaning out thheir tank and one was hissing. Are they establishing a pecking order? This has just started within the last three days. But that shaking thing is really bizzare!!
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

Sorry I didn\'t have an answer for you and butted in on your question!!
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

ah,the shaking of oof the hands, congrats your turtes are in love and they are mating they usually eat little or nothin but you should expect eggs in 1-2 weeks you will need proper setup for the laying of the eggs which you can find on this site gl!
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

But they are just babies!! Aren\'t they too young to be mating??? They are only the size of silver dollars. Thanks!
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

yea if their babies they\'ll try but wont be succsesful But if they do it now they\'ll prob. do it wen they get older so expect babies in a few years
turtlemommy
Level 1
Level 1

lol you guys im not talking about my res\'s having babies im talking about the head to head arm shaking in front of each other ok my one res is 2 inches long and my other one is 1 1/2 inches longand i got them at the same time so i think the bigger one is the female and the smaller one is male but i just want to know what the arm shaking means.
turtlemommy
Level 1
Level 1

lol you guys im not talking about my res\'s having babies im talking about the head to head arm shaking in front of each other ok my one res is 2 inches long and my other one is 1 1/2 inches long and i got them at the same time so i think the bigger one is the female and the smaller one is male but i just want to know what the arm shaking means.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

if the turtles shake their arms in front of eachother that means their mating but your guys are too lil so they\'ll try but they wont have kids
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

Well I don\'t think mine were mating!! I just found out I have two females!!! LOL!! The doc says it was probably more of an agression thing they were doing.

Thanks!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Petunia89, if your larger turtle keeps bullying your smaller one, be prepared to separate them for the smaller one`s protection. Constant bullying will stress the smaller one and affect her development (not to mention cause injury).
Last edited by mariza on Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

And I`d be curious to know how your vet can be so sure they`re females when they`re only babies? What did he see to determine this?
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

He said the bottom of the males shells are concaved so that they can fit on the back of the female. I thought I had a male and female because of the size and behavior, but they both look the same on the bottom. But who knows, only time will really tell!

And yes I am prepared to seperate them, the bullying seems to have subsided for now.

Mariza, I just want to thank you for all your great info, you have been a great help.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i cant tell a difference in mine\'s shell
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You`re welcome. I don`t want to second guess your vet, but for me, the tail size and position of the anal vent when a turtle`s about 3.5 inches is the most telling feature. I`ve heard that the concave shell applies more to certain species than others, but like you said, time will tell.
  • Information