under 4\" illegal???

Discussions about turtles.
skyfire4me

I was told that it was Illegal to have a turtle that is under 4\"!! Is this true??
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Not true. It is illegal to sell a turtle under 4 inches, but there is a loophole that allows smaller turtles to be sold for educational purposes (whatever that means). At any rate, the seller not the buyer who would get into any possible trouble. You can keep a turtle under 4 inches. Don`t worry.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

I \"adopted\" my babies from an online dealer and had to agree that they were not pets, and that they were for educational purposes. The way the wording was done was that I wasn\'t paying for the turtles I was paying for shipping and packing of the turtles. So I guess they didn\'t actually sell me anything, pretty clever. I didn\'t even realize you could still get baby RES (I am a kid of the 70s when turtles and death bowls were popular). My son was bugging for a water turtle and so I looked into it. I was really surprised. He has lost interest already, but I think I really got them for me anyway!!
skyfire4me

well mine i got from a guy thats was selling hermit crabs in the mall. we were walking by and i saw them and thought they were so cute!! thats why my kids bought it for me, and for $30 you got one of those critter keepers with a little aquerium rocks and a bunch of those big white rocks that you see in someone garden and the turtle.!!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You should get a proper set-up for your turtle as was noted in your other post.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

I have 8 res babies i love them i bought them in china town from being made into soup =(
  • Information