turtle newbie! HELP!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
skyfire4me

Hello, My kids bought me a Red Eared slidder and when I got it,it ate but now i haven\'t seen it eat since!! I put it in the window everyday and feed it but I still haven\'t ate. Should I be worried?? I am going to get a 10gal tank and set it up for him with a lamp and everything. He is just a babyand is really small. Can anyone give me some advice to help me out. I just don\'t want him to die on me. I have done some resurce so I know how to set up his soon to be tank.I have never owned one of these so I have no idea what I am doing. Please help me!!!!!!!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How warm is his water? If it`s too cool, he will become inactive and cannot eat (and will become sick). Water temp. of 78-80 degrees F. is good. Get a submersible water heater to keep it at a steady temp. in that range. A thermometer to check it is good to have too.

Get him a proper set-up ASAP to keep him healthy. Putting him in a window is doing little, if anything--he cannot benefit from the sun`s rays though a window. He needs a UVB light, basking light for heating the basking area, an easily accesssible basking area, and a filter unless you plan to do really frequent water changes. A hide box would be useful too.

Read some care sheets on your turtle and look at some of the other posts on this site.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Your turtle may not be eating because it needs time to get acquainted with its new living space. When I first got my baby turtles I had set up their tank, but they weren\'t eating. I was afraid that they would die of starvation, but after almost 2 weeks, they began eating, and have been doing fine ever since (they\'ll be 2 in October).

Shai :D
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

what is it living in anyway?
skyfire4me

Weel he was living in one of those little critter keepers but my cats knocked it over the other day so I put him in my 10 gal. tank that I had set up for breeding my bettas till i can get him a tank of his own probally tomarrow when I get paid. His favorite spot to sit is on the heater!!! I am not to worried about him now because he is eating again!!! I gave him some gound surloin last night and he loved it!!! But when I get him in his own tank I think i am going to buy some gupies!!! Maybe he will like that!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Please, no critter keepers/deathbowls...For a guide to tank size, think 10 gallons of tank per inch of shell, front to back. A 1.5 inch turtle should be in a 20-gallon tank (and they can grow fast, so bigger is better).
Last edited by mariza on Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information