Can Bigger turtles live with smaller Ones?

Discussions about turtles.
i_love_turtles
Level 1
Level 1

I have an 8 year old res (male)and two smaller 1 year old slider (male) and fake map turtle (female). There all different ages and species, is it possible for them to all live together? Or will they fight?
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

I would\'nt try it one of them could squish the baby to be on the safe side i would separate them
deesygirl

Most of mine are together. I did have a problem with a new female as she like to take nibbles at the others. She is the largest so she is in a tank by her self. My littlest baby is also by himself. The rest are various sizes from 3 1/2\" - 9\" and they do fine. If you do put them together make sure that the smaller ones have places to hide as they feel more secure that way. Each one should have a place in the tank. When I get a new turtle I rearrange the whole tank as it makes them all find new spots. IMO whixch is contrary to what some people here feel, Turtles are not solitary animals. They can be found in groups. They are easily spotted in clumps basking and stacking on rocks in the sun. Mine have done so much better as a group. As a matter of fact Cutie Pie my largest is having a tough time being alone.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You can minimize potential problems if you have them in a really big tank.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

i would wait till the small one gets bigger. just because the big one will want more water.and might step on him not relizing it. and anything could happen. the big one mite even get hungry tho i doubt it
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

but if you do have a big tank you could pull it off anyway .
fonziebear
Level 1
Level 1

I have not put my baby together with the bigger ones. I have my 4 inch and 6 inch res\'s in together but one time i put my baby painted in and he almost got eaten so i wouldn\'t try it if i were you.
Last edited by fonziebear on Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

I put in a big Eastern Painted Turtle with my 2 baby RES when they were smaller and the EPT pinned my baby turtle and kept trying to snip his little head off. After that, I just kept my two alone in their tank, at least they get along. If you do decide to put them together, stay for a good while and watch how they interact. If I had just put the big one in and left, I would only have that one big turtle left today.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

yea i put my big res in with my lil ress and it stepped on one dont try it
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

yea and some times they get competitive over their territory. elle use to go after visiters.think a bout a room mate(tank mate)

So, what was the general consensus? Should turtles always room with like-sized turtles? Yesterday, saw a set-up with one turtle, about four inches long, basking away with this wee hatchling next to her. It started me thinking that maybe we should get our Michelangelo a little playmate...and save one of those poor little Chinatown turtles as well...
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

yea i saved eight baby hatchlings from china town but whatever you do dont put the big guys with babies they\'ll either get bit or squished
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

how big is u\'r tank. i no that my turtle elle bites everything in its tank but if u trust u\'rs then i guess its ok if they both have enough room. but watch them first just in case your big turtle is trying to hide something from u
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

they still shouldnt be living together no matter how big the tank it\'s not worth the risk
  • Information