I think I have a Wood Turtle (endangered species) but am not

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
EyeSpy

My husband was outside walking to the backyard and seen a baby turtle walking along the fense. We live in a rural area, heavily wooded and the lot next to us is nothing but trees. Anyway, we looked at the descriptions on this site and the only one he (or she?) looks like is the wood turtle. Now, I don\'t know one turtle from the next in all honesty, so I could be mistaken, but we are very curious. If it is, indeed, endangered - we wouldn\'t want to keep it for the chance that someone who is a turtle expert, animal scientist or whatever can help to regenerate that species using just one more lil turtle we may have found. But if it\'s not, I wouldn\'t mind keeping the lil guy and learning how to raise him. He has kind of a flat(ish) shell, also a bit flexible, looks to be maybe between 2-4 months old (about the size of a plum - 2 1/2 inches long from head to tail), a brownish greenish color shell and the body is a darker green, but not terribly dark (more like a woodsy dark green). His underside has a white looking spot (possibly damaged??) are right in the center. We have not fed him yet since finding him because we don\'t know what to feed him. It\'s amazing he has survived with all the cats, possums, armadillo etc we have out here. Not to mention the birds and owls! I am in East Texas, about 45 minutes from Louisiana. On this turtles shell he has a ridge that goes 3/4ths of the way down the center amd is about 1/8th of an inch wide. He has claws? Toenails? LOL! No webbed feet. My mother in law thinks snapping turtle, but this lil guy hasn\'t bitten us, or maybe we\'re just lucky? I am pretty sure wood turtle. Can someone help me? I can take pictures to help identify him if need be. Just e-mail me with TURTLE in the subject line at [email protected]. All help is appreciated!

Thanks!
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

it could be a mud or musk turtle because you sed it has a flexible shell
deesygirl

Since you said it does not have webbed feet it is definatly a land turtle but Wood turtles are not native to your area.??? Let me look into this a little more. I know someone who does a small rescue in your area and I will check with them. Also most of the time if you find an endangered speices of animal it is illegal to keep them, even if they are injured. :(
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

its hard to say because mud and musk turtles do have the flexible shell but mud turtles do have webbed feet. so maybe u could email me a picure. [email protected]
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

well musk turtles live in shallow waters but it could be a land turtle
  • Information