Soft spots on shell

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Lisarp

One of my turtles has a few soft spots on his shell. I\'m very worried. Does anyone know what this means?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How big/old is your turtle? What kind of set-up do you have? Is your turtle still active and eating well?

If your turtle`s shell is getting soft in spots, it is an indication he is in some stage of metabolic bone disease (MBD, which is also known as soft shell disease). It is caused by lack of calcium, lack of Vit. D3 or improper diet, but is most likely a combination of the three. MBD is painful for your turtle and if not treated and allowed to progress, it is fatal.

You need to increase your turtle`s calcium intake and for Vit. D3 you need to make sure he is basking under proper lighting (a UVB light, which provides the rays for the creation of Vit. D3 and a light to provide heat, which will allow the UVB rays to be converted to Vit. D3). If you are feeding you turtle a diet high in animal matter (shrimp, krill, chicken, etc), the diet is very high in phosphorus, which in excessive amounts also prevents the absorption of calcium, so you need to cut down on it and feed more variety (veggies). You can increase the calcium in his diet with things like a powdered calcium supplement, cuttlebone (the stuff for birds, but take off the hard backing), and leafy green vegetables like kale, mustard greens, chicory, dandelion, turnip greens,endive. Do not give spinach, broccoli, or cabbage.

A more detailed explanation and other information can be found at http://www.turtlecare.net/softill.htm and
http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/mbd.html

The condition can be reversed, but it may take some time. If you make the necessary changes but feel as though your turtle is not improving, you should take him to a vet. Try www.arav.org/USMembers.htm to find one near you.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i was jw how soft should a babies res shell should be?
  • Information