Cloudy water

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

We have had our tank for about a week. We have one baby RES, that I have since found was not legal to sell. We have river rocks, small aquarium rocks and some subtrate (which we put in before I found we shouldnt). We have a filter with a biowheel. The aquarium was cloudy at first for a few days and cleared up, but when I awoke this AM found it very cloudy. Another thing...the water appears to be a yellowish tint. I dont know if that is a reflection of the aquarium rocks that are brown or not. Please help, I dont want anything to happen to our cute little Herman.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

The filter could be clogged, but that seems a little soon. What type filter, What size tank? Have you taken the substrate out? Are you feeding Herman in the same tank or separate tank?
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i would make sure the filter is working
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I wish I knew more about the subject, but could this be the \"new tank syndrome?\" If so, you have to give your tank a chance for beneficial bacteria to build up. I`ve read that frequent partial water changes can help to give the bacteria a chance to grow.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Well, it wasnt getting better so I think I fixed it today. I have a 10 gal, and yes I was feeding him in the tank. I have rinsed the filter about 3 times. Nothing was helping so I changed the water today. I think I figured out the problem though. I had put in a piece of drift wood for him to swim through and hide etc. that he loves. I had scrubbed it before putting it in, but it had been dry. I think once it got submerged it purged all the \"whatever\" was in it. I feel so bad. I re-scrubbed it and put it back and the water looks great. I have read not to use wood like this, but wonder why if you keep the tank clean as the waters these turtles naturally come from have them and are much less clean. I will be feeding him in a seperate mini tank and watching the water closely for further problems with the wood. The water is no longer brownish like it was and I think that was the wood.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

By the way I have a penguin mini biowheel filter (carbon activated. The first filter I got was fecies. The carbon kept coming out in the water and I was worried he would eat it.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you mean the water turtles have in their native habitats (in the wild), the water is actually cleaner than tank water because it is constantly flowing (not being recycled through a filter) and undergoes a natural filtration process.

Wood that secretes resins (pine, cedar, etc.) shouldn`t be used in the tank. Driftwood should be OK, but before using it, it should be soaked in water, scrubbed to get any loose parts off and boiled to kill bacteria and parasites. Soaking and boiling also releases tannins (which color the water) so that the water doesn`t turn color as much. It may take a little while before it gets to the point where the wood no longer noticeably colors the water , however.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Hey thanks Mariza! I dont know what kind of wood it is, but I did notice that it is discoloring again today. I will try boiling it and change the water in the aquarium again. The boiling should get rid of it, I would think. The color of the water is much lighter than last time when I put the wood in the tank. I was considering just taking it out but he seems to really like it.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

we bought a piece of drift wood from pet smart they really didnt like it and it took up a lot of space
  • Information