turtle aggression problems

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
dncrmel

I have a red-eared slider and a yellow-bellied slider. They are both about 3 years old. My yellow-bellied slider is much bigger, but I have had a lot of problems lately with the little one biting him on the neck and really bullying him. I have been told that they are both males and by looking at them, they do both seem to be males, but I\'m not sure what would cause this aggression. Also, my yellow-bellied turtle now has a really bad neck wound from being bitten a whole bunch of times by the other one. I have seperated them but I don\'t know what else to do. Can anyone help? Thanks!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

What size are your turtles and how big is the tank they were both in? RES have a reputation for being territorial and aggressive, especially if the area they`re in is too small. As a general guide, think 10 gallons of tank/container per inch of shell, measured front to back. (Two 5-inch turtles, for example, ideally need at least a 100-gallon tank.)

And you never know if turtles will get along, even if they`re from the same clutch. They may get along fine as babies and then problems develop when they grow. Some never have problems, some do.

For the wound on the YBS, is it infected? Keep the water really clean. If it`s not really deep, I would clean it with diluted betadine solution (make it the color of weak tea) and put a little Neosoporin on it. Neosporin ointment is oil-based, so keep your turtle out of the water for while to let some of it absorb. If the wound is really deep, though, it could seal in bacteria. If it`s really deep and doesn`t seem to be healing, consider seeing a herp vet.

You could try them in a bigger tank once the YBS heals, but if the aggression continues, you will have to permanently separate them.
dncrmel

Thanks for your help. I think their tank is too small for them and I am currently working on finding a larger environment for them (either a 75 gallon tank or a small indoor pond, but as we all know, it\'s expensive. I don\'t know the exact measurements, but they are currently living in a 30 gallon tank. The RES is about 3 inches but my yellow-bellied is probably close to five inches. I had not considered them being territorial. Thanks for the advice. this is definitely one more thing for me to consider.

His neck wound is pretty deep and I really think he needs to see a vet, but unfortunately I live in a small town and there are no vets around here that treat turtles. Any advice on how to find a vet that will work with me?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Their tank is really too small. Think at least 3x what you have now, as they will probably grow for a while yet. Consider a Rubbermaid storage container (may have to be reinforced with wood around the top if it`s a really big one) or stock tank, an indoor pond would be good as well. Also look at for sale ads in newspapers, garage sales if you have them near you, for a used tank. (Clean well before using.) Remember, though, if the agression continues, they will have to remain separated.

For a herp vet try to find the nearest one you at http://www.arav.org/USMembers.htm
http://www.nytts.org/nytts.helpnet.htm
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/vetlisting.htm

Good luck.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sorry, don`t know why the second link won`t work, but it is part of the New York Tortoise and Turtle Society if you want to search it on your own. Let us know how it goes.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Got it--http://www.nytts.org/nytts/helpnet.htm in case your can`t find anything on either of the other two sites.
dncrmel

Thanks for all of your help. I will try calling some vets today...
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

my res have never done that should i be concerned?
  • Information