possibly moving

Discussions about turtles.
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

I might be headed out west...at minimum, the drive is going to be 24hrs. Should I even bother transporting the RES (3 of em) or is that just too long in a car?
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

u could make it. is it 24 hours straight?how big are the turts? they can go in plastic containers with a lid and holes in it for air with a lil water. but if u aare planing on stoping u could just get wet newspaper and every now and then from hour to hour spray them. the wet newspaper wont make a splash like water and it will keep them moist. were u planning on packing them in a box on a moving truck? because that would need water.i dont reccemend that. i think u should sit them in the car with u and use wet newspaper shreddings and spray them.or are u going by air?
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

and no matter wat neva give up your turtles u\'ll regret it and once u give u cant take back. they need u and u probably need them 2
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

THanks for the reply. I usually drive it straight through 24 hrs. BUt there is a possibility I might stop sometime during the night. I would put them on the floor of the car probably in a big container. If there is moist newspaper, won\'t the ink leak out and get all over? I think I\'m mostly worried about all the bumps and vibrations bothering the turts or making them sick. The most they\'ve travelled with me is 2 hrs
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Use a wet towel or cloth like a t-shirt instead of newspaper. It will stay damp longer. You should stop periodically (every few hours) to hydrate them, though. If you`re going to put the container on the floor, pad it underneath (bubblewrap, something spongy to absorb the bumps. Secure it so it won`t tip over. Keep the temp. in the car comfortable for them.
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks all. Mariza, when I hydrate them, do you mean just move them to a container so they are covered with water and are able to drink? And how long will they need to be hydrated?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, that`s what I mean. I would give them a chance to get a good drink and get just a quick soak. You`ll be able to tell by how dry and thirsty they are, I think. I don`t know where your driving from and what you`ll be driving through (the desert?) so I don`t know what the temp or humidity would be like.
There`s a little more info maybe you could use at http://www.turtlecare.net/fly/htm
Good luck.
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks. I\'m driving from Michigan to Salt Lake City so quite a change geographically but everyone\'s responses have made me feel better. Thanks!
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

and a good idea to secure ur turtles is to put a seatbelt around them i did it with my res mac for a two hour car ride it worked
  • Information