Help to identify baby turtles

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
Nancy Jones
Level 1
Level 1

This morning I found 8 baby turtles in my swimming pool skimmer baskets. I found them floating in the water in the baskets and thought they had drowned. I put them on the grass and they began to move about. I gathered them up and put them along our creek bed and they walked down toward the water. They were about 2-3in. in diameter, mostly black with some tan markings with a very long tail about 1 in. long. Does anyone know what kind of turtles these could be? I am also wondering how they got into my pool. I thought maybe they hatched and went looking for water and thought my pool was a pond. Please reply
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

Where are the tan markings and what part of the country are you in? Did you look at the pictures on the photo part of the site and see if they helped?
Nancy Jones
Level 1
Level 1

Last edited by Nancy Jones on Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

hmm....... it\'s odd they got into your pool . if it\'s chlorinated then they could have died good thing you got them.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

is their shells kind of pinted in spots.those are probaby snappers
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

sue they cant be snappers too little. 2-3 inches probly mud or musk tutles
Nancy Jones
Level 1
Level 1

sbturtlegrlz6 wrote:
sue they cant be snappers too little. 2-3 inches probly mud or musk tutles
What do Mud and Musk turtles look like? Are there pictures of them on any of these web sites? Thanks for the replys. N. Jones
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

mud turtles have hinged undersides and lil spikes (harmless) under their chin. and webbd feet. wen u catch them they sometimes stink. they have aa brown shell. i\'m not sure about musk turtles although they are similar. i have a mud turtle and thats how i kno. i\'m looking at him ryt now actually.lol
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

they are usually a brownisk color and their probly the turtles you found i would keep some.
  • Information