Questions before getting turtles

Discussions about turtles.
ch2s
Level 1
Level 1

I used to have turtles 5 years ago but had to return them to the petshop because they get too big for my 25 gal tank.

I am thinking of getting new turtles and get a 50+ gal tank in 1-2 years.

If I get 3 turtles, up to what age could they fit in a 50 gal tank? How about a 75 gal tank?

One of my worries was monthly cost of filters but I read on the filter media boxes that they almost all can be cleaned or \"re-initialized\" so that means no monthly filter cost (I\'m gonna get the Fluval 404, I had the 403 before).

Also, is $5-10/month maintenance cost about right? I think the only monthly cost would be the food which is very cheap.

With the fluval 404 and maybe 10 gallons of water in a 25 gel tank, how often would I need to repalce the water? I am planning on building a skimmer too.

Thanks
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

If you get 3 baby turtles figure on 10 gallons per turtle minimum to start with. If they grow, which they will then the 50+ gallon is your minimum, 75 would be better.

The Fluval will have to have its media replaced about once a month, at least, which is an expense you have to calculate. They don\'t recharge very well.

Food is veggies mainly, high quality, fruit, chicken, shrimp, fish, turtle or trout chow, cuttlebone and the like. Depends on what you spend on food as to how much it costs.

It is up to you but the 25 gallon is insufficient for your description of your plans.
ch2s
Level 1
Level 1

I read the filter media boxes at the petshop and they almost all say that you can just clean them except one of them (zeo card) said to replace monthly and I am not expecting to use this media. Why wouldnt they just be cleaned? Or for some of the biological/chemical media said to put them in salty water to re activate them/

Thanks for the info
ch2s
Level 1
Level 1

rfox wrote:
It is up to you but the 25 gallon is insufficient for your description of your plans.
The 25 is just for a few months while I save to get a large tank.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Growth depends on living conditions such as diet and warmth; it`s therefore not possible to say how long they could fit into such-and-such as size tank. Frankly, if you have to be so concerned about your finances, I`d think twice if I were you about getting turtles. They are expensive to keep if you want to do right by them (which I assume you do). Factor in your plans also the cost of a herp vet, which is not cheap. Don`t think yours will never need one, assume that they will so you don`t have any unpleasant surprises (if you don`t, that`s great). Too many people are taking on the responsibility of caring for turtles, skimping on their care, and then wondering what to do when theirs get sick and they can`t afford a herp vet. Please don`t be one of them.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

Go look at this site and decide for yourself on the expense. Look at some of the other pages also, http://www.turtlecare.net/require.htm before you make your finall decision it will help you with the decision.
  • Information