I HATE ALGAE!

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,
I know this topic has been discussed BUT.... I followed everyone\'s advice....I moved my tank away from the window because the sun was createing more algae. SO, I am still getting algae! It takes about a week after I change the water in my tank. I have a 70 gal.tank, Fluval 404 filter, 100 watt basking bulb and the full length of the tank Repti-Sun bulb. The lights remain on from 7AM until 9PM. Tank temperature is 80.
My questions: Am I providing too much sunlight?? Too much basking light??
Is the water too warm?? I change the water once a month. Is that OK? Is the algae good for them?
Does anyone else have this problem?
Or, is it a problem?
Thanks loads to whoever reads this and also those who answer.
Cheers!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The green algae is not harmful, just unsightly. You could lower the temp. on the water a bit (77-78) and you could cut down on the time the lights are on, especially since fall/winter is approaching and the days are getting shorter ( but no less than 10-ll hours. You could also do more frequent partial water changes (you didn`t say how often you do partial changes) to alter the composition of the water. Those things should help slow its growth. When you clean, if you don`t break down everything and get rid of every last bit of algae, it will return quickly. Leave just a bit and back it comes.
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

Again, thanks Mariza!

I have never done partial water changes. If I change the water monthly (and I do remove everything and TRY to get rid of the algae) then I guess I should partially change the water after two weeks? What do you do? How large is your tank?
Thanks for sharing your wisdom on turtles!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Going a month without changing any of the water seems like a long time...There`s a suggested schedule for water changes at http://petturtle.htmlplanet.com/habitat ... ation.html Changing between 30-50% of the water weekly seems to be the norm, although I do know of someone who changes about 50% every two weeks.

As for myself, I should say that I live in Tokyo and space is at a premium. My turtle is still relatively small, my container isn`t nearly as big as yours (but I am looking at a major upgrade fairly soon), and my filter is not that great. I do a 30-50% water change DAILY and have had no algae problems, even when summer was at its hottest (and it gets very hot here in the summer). It is truly a labor of love, but my turtle has gotten into the spirit of things and I actually think he looks forward to it.

Besides light, algae is also caused by nutrients in the water, which doing partial water changes cuts down on. Another thing you could do if you haven`t already is to put some live plants in the tank to compete with the algae for nutrients to starve it or hinder it`s growth. Some people get algae eaters like plecos, but then they may eventually get eaten by your turtles. There are chemicals some people use to kill the algae, but I`m not into using chemicals if at all possible so you`d have to get info on them from someone who uses them.

I`ve read that using an air diffuser like an airstone, air wand or bubble disc to help keep the water agitated and increase the oxygen content of the water will also hinder the growth of algae as well as the increased oxygen promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria.

I don`t know what you use to clean your tank and contents, but you could try using a mixture white vinegar and water and rinsing well afterward. It cleans well and I`ve read it seems to lessen algae. I use it myself, but I use it because I like that its safe to use and cleans well. But maybe that`s another reason why I don`t have algae. Hope this helps.
ch2s
Level 1
Level 1

If you can afford it get one of those UV water cleaners that connect through the filter hose and kills algea by UV light.
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

A MILLION thank you\'s Mariza for all the excellent advice. You sure do know how to care for these wonderful little creatures.

And, thank you to ch2\'s, too! Where do you get that UV water cleaner thing? Does it hook up to any type of filter?

Thanks again ya\' ll
ch2s
Level 1
Level 1

I saw those UV things at at petshop, they are VERY expensive ($300 canadian at this store). They probably only work with external filters since they are just a small cylinder with 2 fittings to connect the water pipe.

I have found some on ebay for a bit less, but this one only supports up to 200gph so you would need a bigger one if you have a fluval 304/404:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=20756
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

Well ch2, I went to check out the UV water cleaning system. I found one for $129.00 (US) here at Aqualand (fish store) I didn\'t buy it though.
I bought an algae eater (plecos) My turtles tried to bite it but it scoots away from them and it has a kind of hard shell like body so I guess they gave up on it because it is still alive & well.
I also bought the plants Mariza sugested and I have an airstone that I\'m going to set up to put more Oxygen in the water. And.....I\'ll really clean the tank much better next time. If all this fails, then I;ll get the UV water filter. The guy in the store thinks it would really make a big difference in keeping my tank clean. We shall see.
Thanks loads for the reply. You guys are great!!!!!!!!
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

ch2,

Hey, I just looked at the UV filter on ebay! WOW! Neat! Thanks for sharing that with me. Now I might just get one.

Cheers!
  • Information