Car travel w/turts?

Discussions about turtles.
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All,
I will be going to Fl. for the winter and I would like any suggestions on how to transport my 2 R.E.S.\'s.
We travel by car and it takes us 2 days to get there. My turts are approx. 1 to 2 yrs. old.
When we stop at a motel for the night I can set up their basking light or can they go without having to bask? Can they remain out of the water while in the car (approx 13 hrs. a day)? Should I feed them when we stop??
I want to place the least amount of trauma on them.
Thanks to all who reply!
Cheers!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Try http://www.turtlecare.net/fly.htm which should have info on car travel as well as air travel. They should be able to go a few days without a UVB light, but it would, of course, be nice if they it.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I know it doesn`t say it in the link, but I would have a wet/really damp towel under the turtles and would periodically hydrate them.
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks Mariza,
I read that link....interesting...but did you read..\"stuffing your turtle in a sock and mailing it\" OY!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, some people will do strange things. The only time I used a sock was to take a baby to the vet in the winter when I wanted to protect him from the cold.
  • Information