mariza*

Discussions about turtles.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

hey mariza it\'s manda listen you seem to know a lot about turtles so do my baby res need gravel? or can they stay wit just the bottom of they tank?
Abby
Level 2
Level 2

Dear sbturtlegrlz6,

Do not use gravel on baby turtles. They tend to swallow them and can shock or die. Please do not use it. If you want place large rocks without rough edges and a small island as a basking area with proper lighting. Keep the temperature between 80-90 degrees and clean the tank weekly. I hope this helps. Best regards, Abby
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Gravel is not recommended for turtles because they tend to eat it and there is a chance the gravel could get stuck and they could become impacted. (Big vet bill.) Impaction is a leading cause of death for turtles. If you want to use something, smooth river rocks bigger than your turtle`s head would be better--he can`t eat them and he can still push them around. You don`t even need a lot of them, I have some in one area of my turtle`s tank to make it more interesting for him--he can forage and push them around. You can, if you choose, however, have nothing on the bottom, many people do. It makes cleaning easier.

BTW, water temp. for babies should be 78-80 degrees F. (81,82 is OK, but over that is getting too warm unless the turtle is ill.)
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

hey
i put round flat stones bout an inch long and wide at the bottom of mine
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

thanx i have gravel in my big turtles tank they dont hate it or eat it should i still take it out just in case?
Marianne
Level 1
Level 1

sorry, this doesn\'t answer your last question, but i would suggest that if know a nearby river, try going there and find a big flat rock that can fit in your tank...
i found a really nice one recently, just washed it with dish liquid (probably not the best to clean it with) and rinsed it really well.

:)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

No, dishwashing liquid was not the best thing to use. Better to have scrubbed it well using plain water to loosen the dirt and then boil it to kill any bacteria, etc.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

And I would take the gravel out just in case. You can buy river rocks at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Just clean them well before you put them in the tank.
  • Information