Blind Turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
jend09

I need help! I recently bought 2 RES hatchlings online from someone who I thought was a reputable dealer. When they arrived one was already gone and the other little guy\'s eyes were closed. After several days I have come to the conclusion that he is blind (I don\'t think his eyes ever developed). I fully intend to keep him/her but need some advice on how to get him to eat. He hasn\'t eaten since he arrived over a week ago and I am getting worried. I have tried hand feeding him with no luck. The other problem is his home once he gets of his basking area in the aquarium he can\'t see to get back up and just paddles around trying till I come along and help. I finally put him in a bowl with shallow water for fear that he would drown while I was at work. I would appreciate any help on this situation. I am at a loss.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Blind turtles can survive quite nicely with a little help. What kind of set-up is he in? You need to make things easy for him. I would make a basking area that has a very gradual ramp/incline so he can feel his way to the top. I would make it wide so he can`t fall off, maybe taking up the width of the tank/container.(It will take up a fair amount of space, though). Have no places he could get trapped behind/under.

How warm is the water and basking area. Try for 78-80 degree F water and a basking area that`s 85-90 degrees. He won`t want to eat if the water is too cool.

What are you feeding him? Try to get his appetite stimulated with some smelly foods--sardines or smelts packed in water, cooked white chicken meat. Hold a bit of it under his noise so he can smell it and take it from your hand. Pellets like Reptomin Baby for small turtles offer balanced nutrition.

You could get some plastic plants (take out the wires if you buy regular ones from places like Walmart) and let them float so he has something to rest on in case he gets tired of swimming. Once you get things set up for him, don`t move things around so he can get used to his environment. Keep us posted.

Just curious, did you buy him from a company on-line?
  • Information