Salmonella & Washing Hands

Discussions about turtles.
Happy
Level 1
Level 1

I don\'t know whether or not my RES has salmonella, so I end up washing my hands a zillion times a day - after touching him, or anything in his tank, or the sides of the tank, or whatever and I\'M GETTING VERY TIRED OF IT! I don\'t have an obsessive-compulsive disorder or anything. Does anyone else get tired of washing? What do you do?
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

I wash every time before and after handling anything RES. Doesn\'t really bother me much since I\'d rather have everything be healthy and not have to worry about bills if me or the turts get sick
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I do the same as sbgol80 and am so used to it now, I don`t give it a second thought. Better to be safe than sorry...
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i get tierd too but i havent been sick once since getting the turtles plus you should\'nt be handleing your turtles too much
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

they sell sanitizers that dont need washing mabey you could try this if ur tired of washing. buy one that is used for reptiles to be safe. i got a sample one with the tank i bought it seemed to work.
Sennyo
Level 2
Level 2

sometimes when I\'m really feeling lazy I just get the anti-bacterial hand gel stuff from bath n body works or something similar. you can get hand sanitizers that don\'t require washing. (most of the time I use anti-bacterial soap though)

I don\'t mind washing my hands too often. I do it several times throughout the day anyway.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

manda.(sbgurlz6) thats wat i thot about not getting sick but right now my nose is running and i\'m coughing terrible with a sore thoat and sneezing.i\'m havinng my sis feed the turts until i get get better.that way the turts will be nice and safe.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

Since my wife is a nurse we are used to non-stop hand washing around here. But, there are some hand cleaning solutions that are available that kill 99.99% of the whatever on your hands without water that I have heard and seen my wife use that should be available at like Wal-Mrt, K-Mart, Walgreens, or some of these types of places. We keep some around for use when water is not readily available.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

yea that\'s all you can do.and sue is your ear working yet?
  • Information