Why do you like Turtles as Pets?

Discussions about turtles.
Happy
Level 1
Level 1

Someone had gotten rid of their unwanted RES, and we rescued him from our driveway a week ago. We will keep him, although I must admit I like our dog and cat more. I was wondering what all you people, who are obviously crazy about their turtles, enjoy about them? I have only experienced things like cleaning his tank, watching him try to escape, taking him outside for a sunbath, and the turtle smell from his tank, although I do like to watch him eat. I need to know I have some fun things to look forward to!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Kudos to you for rescuing an unwanted turtle. How big is s/he? I also took in a turtle from some people who were going to let him die (too busy to take care of him). He had a bad eye infection, was scared of his shadow and wanted nothing do with me. So what happened? Why has he become such an enjoyable part of my life?

You`ve only had your turtle a week, and he`s in unfamiliar surroundings and doesn`t know you. But wait until he(?) figures out who you are. Mine is waiting for me every morning when I wake up. He swims over to my hand and waits to be picked up for his feeding (I feed him in a separate container of water). I get a kick when I enter the room and he goes crazy when he sees me (ok, it`s food he wants, but it`s still fun to watch him). Sometimes I let him roam around while I clean his tank (inside and always carefully watched so he doesn`t disappear). I enjoy his curiosity at everything and his endless fascination with his reflection in the mirror when I put him in front of one. He recognizes me and comes to me from across a room, loves to walk back and forth over my bare feet and is content to sit in the palm of my hand and watch TV.

I also enjoy watching him in his world, whether gracefully swimming around, pushing his rocks around, basking contentedly, chowing down or whatever. I think they`re fascinating to watch. My turtle has made me more aware of little things that I would have probably overlooked before as well as making me a little more patient.

You can`t compare them to a cat or dog, because they`re still wild animals no matter how familiar you become to them. They also require a greater committment than a cat or dog, and their equipment can get expensive. But I think they are just so neat (hate that word), they do what they want, when they want. They grow on a person...

That said, turtles have unique personalities, just like people do. Some are not as friendly as others. But I really hope that with a little time, you begin to see things in yours that will make you realize what interesting creatures they are.

BTW, why does your tank have a turtle smell? It shouldn`t have any offensive odor.
Happy
Level 1
Level 1

I am very impressed by your relationship with yr turtle, and also by the vast amount of knowledge you, and all the other message board-ers, seem to have. I\'m not sure how old Happy is; his shell is 5\" long. The \'turtle smell\' is this kind of salmon-y fishy smell which I assume is common to all RES; kind of like a RES version of dog smell. I hope this is normal--maybe I just notice it because it is new to me?
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

ohh i love turtles (by the way just wash the tank with some water and some vinegar rinse well)i love my ten turtles because each one is different. one of my babies like to run to the fiter and it is so small it gets pushed away by the water pressure now that he does it the others join in and they have wat seems to be arace but wen night time comes i go downstairs and they\'re all asleep cute as can be. dont worry the first week may seem overwehlming but trust me it is so worth it.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Well, mine was a baby when I got him and I think getting one really young makes it somewhat easier to develop a \"relationship\" with a turtle. But, if yours was previously a pet, unless he was horribly treated (is he healthy? no shell problems?), he should eventually come around. Be patient, let him get used to you and take some time to interact with him.

If anything, the smell should be a faint mossy one, like damp earth. My turtle does not smell. What size tank do you have? Think 10 gallons of tank per inch of shell; if he`s 5 inches, he should ideally have a minimum 50-gallon tank. Do you have an adequate filter? Cleaning with white vinegar and water is good; the vinegar is totally natural and safe for the turtle.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Forgot to say to rinse well after cleaning.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

yup.its way worth it. each turt has his own way of doing things. peewee loves clibing on coltrane.and coltrane loves hiding. the babis love huddling together.and grrrrr loves it up on rocks. mercedes lloves basking.and chip and elle love to burrow.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

I got mine from my nephew when he got tired of taking care of it. My wife and I love to just watch it in the habitat as it watches us. When he/she basks in the water or under the basking lamp they can be so funny in what they do. They can put so much joy in your life. We also have two pomeranians that love to sit on the floor and watch the turtle do his thing, they don\'t bark, they just watch quietly, totally enthralled. When we take it outside for a walk it likes to find a burrowing place and get hidden from everyone and everything for a while then come charging out at us. They can put on quite a show.

They do require quite a bit of care but they are worth it. Their diet will cause you to eat properly because if they eat properly you will also. That is something else good about turtles they end up keeping humans healthy. Although we don\'t eat the insects. Watching them grow is always part of the fun because it seems to happen so fast sometimes.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i love my turtles
  • Information