A couple of questions.

Discussions about turtles.
Turtle Mom of 2

Hi, we have two RES that are about 3 yrs old, and the female is MUCH bigger than the male. She is around 7 inches and he is around 3 1/2 inches, is this normal? And I must say that he got out once and was missing for about a month, but was found fine. Could this be why?

Second question. They eat the feeder fish, along with bananas, turtle sticks and more. We had about 7 feeder fish in their tank (55 gal) and it took them from March to August, so I went and got them about 11 to feed on from time to time and they ate them ALL in about 3 hours, is this ok or what? How many should they eat at a time?

Any info would be great.
Turtle Mom of 2

Would it help if I said Please? :)
deesygirl

1)Females are usually larger than males. It could be that your female is eating more than the male and it could also be the male is a picky eater and not eating the \"right\" stuff.

2)I had mine do the same thing with the feeders I bought. I think the first fish got relly good at hiding. The second batch were much easier for them to catch.

By the way, welcome to the board and I apologize for having your question take so long in getting an answer.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

well for the second question if u buy feeder fish u should only put in a couple like 2-3 a day so they last longer and so they dont over eat, mine did the same thing i have 2 babie res and they ate 10 in one day so i think you should put a couple in at a time.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

And feed bananas very occasionally if you do at all--they are very high in phorphorus.
Turtle Mom of 2

Thanks! There are 3 fish in the tank now and they have had nothing to do with them in a couple of days so, I think they got their fill of fish the other day.

Also thanks for telling me about the bananas.
  • Information