retained scutes

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

my older RES had a big problem with retained scutes, leading to pockets of water and lots of shell rot. most of the outer layer came off with a little effort (probably more than comfortable), even though bits on the edges of the carapace stayed put for several weeks and gradually came off on later betadine washings. there\'s still some light colored stuff stuck in the space between scutes, but it\'s mostly coming out.

so, how do you avoid retained scutes and repair the damage?
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

a lot of calcium vitamin a,b,d and a good basking spot...

thanks! it must have been a vitamin deficiency. =(

for anyone who\'s interested, i just found this:
http://home.earthlink.net/~rednine/chelonia.html
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I suspect it was lack or basking under natural sunlight/UVB light.
almonds
Level 1
Level 1

i doubt it. before, during, and after the whole thing, she basked regularly on a rock outdoors.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The link you gave suggests something wrong with the husbandry.
almonds
Level 1
Level 1

yeah. is that a general term meaning \"how to take care of a turtle\" or something more specific?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

From your link: \"Retained scutes are a sign of poor husbandry as the animal has not been drying off sufficiently to loose its old scutes.\" Could mean lack of a basking area (you said your turtle basked) or it could mean the temperature was not warm enough (You said in another post that the temp. ranged between 65 and 85 degrees F. A big variation, maybe not condusive to drying off, especially if the temp. was near the lower end of that range for a fair amount of time.)
almonds
Level 1
Level 1

no, it only got cold at night, except for some cloudy days (temp in the 70s). otherwise, it\'s been in the 80s and low 90s. it\'s la. great weather for raising turtles. when it gets cooler in the fall and winter, the lamps and heaters kick in. i think it must have been diet based. the scutes didn\'t look lighter at the edges like they were going to shed. they just started looking bumpier. it was only when pockets of retained water showed up that i realized its scutes might have been retained. the only shell deformity i\'d ever heard of was mbd and something about shell cream on hatchlings, but neither applied. ugh!
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

well i hope your turtle gets better wat ever it is.
  • Information