Basking Time

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Happy
Level 1
Level 1

Got my RES 4 days ago. Still working on a cheap basking site. Putting him in a dry Rubbermaid under a lamp for now. How long should I leave him there, and for how many times a day? If I use an upturned flower pot as a basking site, is the surface supposed to be slightly above or below the water?
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

it should be slightly above the water and your best bet is to by a rock.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

the turtle should be able to get its body completly out of the water
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Better to get/make a basking area so your turtle can decide when he wants to get out of the water. It should be in the 85-90 degree F range.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You need both a light for the heat source and a UVB light.
almonds
Level 1
Level 1

smooth, sloped, and free rocks can be had just about anywhere. much better than an upside down pot, which has no slope. use rocks with a sloped face (about 25-30?) that is twice the length of the turtle\'s shell.

ignore if your turtle can get up on the pot, as i wouldn\'t know.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sloped rocks can shift/slide and take up more room than something like a flower pot. They`re also harder to keep clean.
almonds
Level 1
Level 1

sloped rocks might take up more room than a flower pot depending on its shape, but they don\'t shift and slide if the rock has a flat bottom and rests on bare glass, i.e. no gravel (a shifting rock might cause damage if it\'s placed next to a glass water heater or if several small ones are whimsically stacked up for some reason. best to go with one large rock), nor are they terribly harder to keep clean. normal scrubbing with an old toothbrush once a week along with the rest of the aquarium setup (i don\'t use bleach or detergent). i used to use half a pot to provide both hiding and basking areas, but opted for a rock because it provided a larger, more accesible basking area for the amount of space it consumed.
  • Information