Still afraid of me...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

I read another post about turtles being afraid of people. You said to take him out and play with him and feed him so they can see your fingers and they\'ll begin to trust you. Well, I have two turtles. One I\'ve had for over a year and one I just got a few months ago. The turtle I\'ve had for over a year is still afraid of me. I take him out and let him play in the grass outside and I make sure he sees me put food in his tank, and he still dives into the water every time I walk into the room. And the one I just got a few months ago was never really afraid until a couple weeks ago. Now he\'s just as afraid as the other one. I\'m not really sure what I\'m doing wrong. Any suggestions? Is it possible that some turtles just don\'t like people?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Different turtles have different personalities, and some are not \"people\" turtles. What do you mean by \"playing\" with them? They are not like dogs or cats. Too much handling can have the opposite effect and stress them out.

I mean like I take them out and let them play in the grass and I let them bask outside and whatnot.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Some turtles are just not as friendly as others (although it is a little odd that one has become more and not less timid). Do you ever just spend time just being near their tank without focusing your attention on them and letting them watch you? Do you have hiding places like plastic plants (no wires) where they can watch and feel safe doing it? Turtles are naturally curious and often will eventually come around, especially if they think something (i.e. food) may in it for them.

Yeah, actually, I do sit around so they can watch me. I\'ll sit at my desk doing homework and they\'ll watch me from where they\'re at. I don\'t have any plants in the tank, but I have a few things that they can hide under and watch. (It\'s kinda like a bridge thing I made.) Hopefully they\'ll come around a little bit more with more time.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

your turt is probly fine it may take him longer than a normal turt to adjust only because he may have had a bad experience in the past
  • Information