New RES - need advice!

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Happy
Level 1
Level 1

We found a RES wandering down the driveway 3 days ago. Shell 5\" long--does anyone know how old s/he is? Going to slowly equip the Rubbermaid aquarium. Planning to get, in order, Rubbermaid, heater, basking lamp (ordinary lightbulb), UVB light (will put him outside in sun for 1 hr. until then), filter (planning to hand clean until then). Will find a nice flat rock to bask on. Is this a good order? He has been in a small rubbermaid and baby bath for 3 days, no chance to dry off. Have noticed a piece of filmy stuff on back of neck: is this shedding skin, or algae, because of lack of basking site? Thanks! also - live close to swamp in southern Canadian city. Any chance he could be wild? Will eat turtle sticks out of our hands.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

As for age, it`s impossible to tell unless you knew when he was born when you got him. Size is more related to factors such has diet, warmth and other living conditions. I suspect he is an unwanted pet.

Don`t see anything wrong with your plans for equiping the Rubbermaid; assuming you hold off on the filter and do frequent water changes, you should be able to get the rest of your set-up fairly quickly. The white stuff sounds like shedding skin (it`s white/translucent and it`s noticeable in the water but not out of it?), which is often a sign of growth. His skin looks normal underneath? He does need a place to get out of the water and dry off, though, and under the types of lighting you outlined in your post. Good luck.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

sounds good to me! gl wit your red ear slider i have 10.
  • Information