Battle of Wills Over Food

Discussions about turtles.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

Recently me and the turtle are having a battle of the wills. He/she does not want to eat veggies and I am not going to feed just what it wants. It is wanting just the chicken, shrimp, worms, etc that it gets about 2 to at most 4 times a week. The rest of time it is veggies and grapes and some banana. Veggies are lettuces, greens (turnip, collard, etc), green peas, lima beans, carrots and the like, fruit (grapes, apple, some banana) good variety plus cuttle bone. This has just happened as he has gone through a growth spurt, grew about a half-inch. Will he settle down now that the growth is over or is he acting spoiled?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I`ve been told that turtles` preferences sometimes change for no apparent reason. A turtle will like carrots, for example then suddenly refuse them only to begin eating them at another time. You seem to be feeding him a varied diet, and he seems to have enough to eat. I`d just keep offering him veggies as usual. If he`s hungry enough, he`ll eat. If not, don`t give in to him and give him something he wants. He`s healthy, so going without sometimes won`t hurt him.(To get their turtles to eat veggies, I`ve heard of people just offering veggies until the turtle is hungry enough to eat them. Kind of a tough love, I guess.)
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks, Mariza thatis what we have been ding. He finally started eating green peas and is starting to nibble on turnip greens today. I don\'t understand this at all, I always thought they would eat because they thought they would not get another meal. I guess he knows he has a meal ticket now.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

The battle is over, this morning was apple, green peas, romaine, turnip greens, all the good stuff. You were right Mariza just tough it out and they do eat. Seems that he/she does not want as much chicken/shrimp type food any more even though we still offer it about once twice weekly. Wants more of the veggies. Offering Reptomin to try and balance the diet, still wants it. Wants more natural food like meal worms. We limit those too. But glad to see that the war is over.
  • Information