HELP is my new baby RES dying?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
foxspirit

I got two baby RES from a friend and one of them came with what appears to be a streak or a scratch down the spine of his back. He\'s much more depressed than the other one and likes to hide and not eat much. Now I\'ve found orangey spots invading what is the yellow of his underbelly. The other one is fine. I give them all the recommended light and a mix of baby foods. What now?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How long have you had your turtles? Was the streak or scratch on the one turtle some kind of wound? If so, does it appear to be healing well?

About the orange spots on the plastron--does it look like blood is pooling under the scutes? If you press on the areas, does the orange appear to go away and then return? I`m not a vet, but combined with what you said about being \"depressed\" (meaning lethargic, inactive?) and not eating well, it possibly could be septicemia (blood poisoning) from an underlying infection. (Are there any red areas on the skin anywhere?) If I were you, I would take him to a herp vet to be checked out. If it is septicemia, he will need antibiotics to fight the infection. If you don`t have a qualified herp vet, try www.arav.org Click on members, then U.S., then your state to find the nearest one near you. Good luck.
foxspirit

There\'s no blood pooling. The spots are just there. and its not all over the belly. seems to be mostly on the sides of the belly.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If he`s not eating well and lethargic along with the spots, it would be good to have him seen by a vet.
  • Information