possible to overfeed?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
dichotomia

Well, now that my baby is finally eating, he always wants food. I am feeding him pellets and he will eat up to 15 a day. The directions on the bottle say to give at most 1 tablespoon full. He will eat more than that if I put it in the tank for him. Is it possible to overfeed him? Even if he eats it all? I feed him in the tank still cause he isnt quite comfortable enough with me to eat outside his home. Im not worried about clean up, I\'m worried about him stuffing himself too much..if thats possible! Thanks!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, it`s possible to overfeed them and it`s a mistake commonly made. Overfeeding isn`t good--it can result in shell problems and other health problems in the future. You want slow, steady growth.

Don`t follow the directions on the container. A guide for portion size is an amount that would fit into the head. Up to a year, feed once a day, after a year feed every other day. You can have veggies freely available.

They will continue to beg even though they`ve just been fed. You have to learn to limit them and not give in to the begging.
dichotomia

If I limit his food to the size that would fit into his head, he would only get 2 pellets. He is still a hatchling. He also wont eat veggies yet..ive tried a few. Ive read some posts here where it says to give him as much as he\'ll eat in an hour, then stop. I dont want to hurt him, but dont want to starve him either.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If he`s that small, yes, not many will fit in his head. Feeding as much as he`ll eat in an hour is wrong.
  • Information