Flaky skin, again

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

I know, I know...I\'ve read so many messages about turtles and their peeling skin. But our turtle (who we\'ve had now for about two months) seems to \"shed\" his skin continuously. Truly, can this be \"normal\"? I mean, he is always shedding at least a little, sometimes not a little. Other than that, he is perfectly healthy--basks much, eats like a pig, is generally a bit mad (likes to gnaw on his Dr. Turtle friend)...so is he okay? Just for you \"curious\" types, he has an overhead UVB light strip and an incandescent heating lamp which we have aimed over his basking area, both of which we leave on from nine until nine. His water is between 78 and 84 degrees while his basking area hovers around 90. We clean his tank thoroughly once a week and do mini-water changes every three days. I think we\'re doing everything right!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How old/big is your turtle and how much and how often do you feed him? I would lower the temp. of the water to around 78 degrees--not more than 80 degrees (84 is a little too warm). Overfeeding and excessively warm water can cause shedding. Also consider giving him some cuttlebone (the stuff for birds) to chomp on rather than the Dr. Turtle, which has sulfa in it. Take of the shell/hard backing, break it into pieces and drop some in his tank. It`s a much better source of calcium for him.

Come to think of it, how long have you been using the Dr. Turtle? If you`ve been using it for a while and he`s still shedding, I don`t think I`d keep using it. But, once again, how old is your turtle and how much are you feeding him?

According to the source we adopted him from, he is about two years old. We feed him every other day--we have this wee cap thing about the size of his head that we will fill up just to make sure we\'re not feeding him too much. Oh, by the way, we live in NYC, it is hot! How do you suggest keeping the temperature cooler? We will be getting a water heater once it gets colder. Any pointers would be welcome.

Yeah, about the Dr.Turtle...it is a fairly recent phenomena...Wayne, our local Petco reptile expert said it would be good for him. We have only used it twice, usually disappears within three or four days and then we waited a good week and a half before adding another. The peeling definitely predates poor Dr. Turtle.
  • Information