Can turtles get depressed?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Linz

Hi everyone. My boyfriend Keith posts on here about our RES Captain Jack. I think he posted the other day about how Jack was doing the fluttery mating dance to a skull accessory in his tank. He seems to still be doing this but gets very discouraged each time. Should we take the skull out? Does he need a toy or a friend or something? Maybe I am being silly but I don\'t want him to be sad! I just did a report on AIBO\'s for school and I don\'t want to seem like some of the nutty people I read about...haha.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I wouldn`t assume your turtle is lonely or feeling dejected. Turtles flutter their hands (even females can and males do it to males as well) and if they`re too young to mate (as in Capt. Jack`s case) the fluttering is not even for mating purposes. Turtles will do it to one another to show whose boss. Maybe Capt. Jack is just trying to warn the skull and crossbones that he`s king of the castle. My turtle flutters only at my index and pinky finger on my right hand and more recently at his own reflection in the mirror. But when I take away my finger or the mirror, I don`t think he`s heartbroken over it.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

my turt mac seemed sum what loney so i bought him a girlfriend! he loves it wayyy bettter!
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

my RESS elle has her own 20 gallon and she doesnt mind visiters in that but if she is in a carring case and i put another turt in with her she gets really mad.she\'s a turt who i guess just l8kes her own space
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

yea it depends some turtles are different than others,.......
  • Information