My turtle is dying, i need some help.

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
emmybaby23
Level 1
Level 1

My turtle, i believe is on its way towards death. He sits on top of our floating log, all day, and only gets into the water whenever i put him in there. I have a wonderful set-up with everything needed in there. I supple plenty of food and also fish for him to eat. He hasnt been eating much either. He used to eat all the fish before the week was over, and now he doesnt even touch them. Whenever he moves, he eyes are always shut, and he only opens them when he is under water after awhile.

Also, he always breathe\'s like he is gasping for air, especially when he comes out of the water.

I really need your help, i dont want to see my turtle die.

:(
Emily.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

You should check if the water temp is right. how old is the turtle is it just a baby? My friends turtle did this do. Make sure everything in the tank is right he probably is sick if he is gasping for air. If he is breathing through his mouth its probably a respitory infection. If he doesnt get better you should bring him to a vet if u can afford it.
pho32
Level 1
Level 1

phemonia (sp?) see a vet asap. i lost a little one this way :(
emmybaby23
Level 1
Level 1

the water is 84, and near to 86 because i have the heat lamp on.

Also, i noticed that when he goes into the water he sort of coughs? and i saw a white string looking thing out of his mouth.

What can i do to help him get better?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

At this point, you probably can`t. It does sound like pneumonia. You have to take him to a herp vet for antibiotics. Try www.arav.org click on members, then your state. If you don`t get him help, he will die.
  • Information