Using Liquid Dawn

Discussions about turtles.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

When I clean out my turtles\' tank, I use liquid Dawn dishwashing fluid, since I\'ve seen the commercial that they use it to clean off animals caught in oil spills. But I\'ve found that although it\'s effective in cleaning up their mess and it lessens the smell of the tank, it only masks the rest of it. There\'s still a bit of a smell, although it\'s not noticible once I put the water in. I\'m getting to the point where I\'m getting tempted to leave the tank sitting in bleach for a week to totally eliminate the odor.
What do you guys use to clean out your tanks? Do you have a similar problem?
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

With mine smell really isnt a prob.except for the mud turtle coltrane because he\'s a stink pot.but only wen he is frightned.i used bathroom cleaner but since it has chemicals in it i have to wash it several times with water to delude and wash away the harmful chemicals.my tanks havent been setup that long.only like a month.maybe the smell will come after longer.but right now thats wat i do.
deesygirl

The only time I have a problem with smell is when I do a very through tank clean.

If you use your tank water to clean off your filter it should help. Tanks need to balance themselves and when you do a through clean the good bacteria gets washed away with the bad.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

When we clean ours we use a biodegradle dish detergent after we let the tank sit with bleach water in ti for a few minutes. Then we clean it with the dish detergent and wash it out, put everything back in and fill it up and watch for the turtle to complain because we didn\'t get everything back where he wanted it. Forgot to add that we always use reverse osmosis water because our water is so bad that most people can\'t drink it. Too salty.
Last edited by rfox on Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Soap of any kind is not good for turtles--it leaves a residue that is difficult to remove and could be harmful. A weak bleach solution (5%) can be used for cleaning, but you have to rinse really, really well because it`s toxic (personally I`d only use it to disinfect if a turtle were sick). To clean my turtle`s tank I use a solution of white vinegar and water (and still rinse well afterwards). Vinegar cleans really well, the odor evaporates quickly, and is totally safe for turtles.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :)

Mariza, I never even thought of Vinegar and water...I\'m going to try that this weekend when I clean their tank again. I\'m thinking since it\'s natural, it\'s probably the best thing for them.
cajohnson
Level 2
Level 2

Hello, I buy this stuff at the pet store made specially for cleaning aquariums, and you just spray it on let it sit 5 min, then wipe off. but need to make sure you get it all off, i also wipe it out with those clorox wipes, and rinse it very well, I know what you mean about the smell, its not real strong but when I got my nose in there cleaning it stinks
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you`re using chlorox wipes, don`t they have bleach on them? Bleach is toxic to turtles. Do you rinse well with water afterward?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Oops, reread your post--you said you do rinse afterward.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

The vinegar and water worked...at least for a little while, until I fed them some plankton in the tank. Thanks for the suggestion.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

im gonna try the vinegar and water but i dont have a odor problem in my tanks....
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Glad to hear it worked. But feeding any food in the tank will cause it to get dirty more quickly.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Yeah, I know. My backup tank fell when I was cleaning it and was smashed, so I have no alternative for now, but to feed them in their tank.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

should i be feeding my ten res in a seperate tank?
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

If you don\'t want to deal with the hassle of them making a mess in their normal tank, or maybe if you have a big tank and don\'t want to have to clean it out so often, you could use a smaller tank to feed them and then just dump that water out when they\'re done.

:D
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If your 10 RES make it to adulthood, you are going to need a pond for them.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i only have 8 baby res two are adults. and im planning on getting a lot of very big tanks we have plenty of room
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

How in the world do you take care of 10 at once? I cannot fathom it. Good luck and more power to you.
Last edited by rfox on Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yea to the dude that has a problem with his tank i have that same problem and i did the same thing but it still stinks i try to ignore it but its nasty but w/e if soemone has a solution plez tell me iight ~*1*~
MoMof2RedEarSliders
Level 1
Level 1

hi i have 2 res and their tanks used to smell really bad until i used this all natural biodegradable solution its called Shaklee Basic H its all pure and natural you can even tip it to your tounge and it wont harm you you can even wash your hair and clothes and laundry in it and i tell you one thing it gets the thoughest smells out of everything and sence then i had no smell the turts are very happy campers and the water stays crystal clear and the food does not even make the water cloudy at all and it does not make your turts sick in fact it helps their immune system and with SHAKLEE BASIC H YOUR TANK WILL NEVER GROW ALGAE AGAIN well good luck if you want to read on SHAKLEE BASIC H ,,,,GO TO,,,,www.shaklee.com have fun.
MoMof2RedEarSliders
Level 1
Level 1

oh yeah when you go to www.shaklee.com click on shopping and then in the search bar provided on the left hand side of your screen type in basic h and then gow down a bit and there it will be ok.
  • Information