Moss on Shell

Discussions about turtles.
jzahora4554

Maggie-May, a RES, is about one year old. I recently cleaned her tank again and she had moss on her shell. I brushed it gently with a soft bristle toothbrush. When I put her back in her tank, she kept rubbing her shell on her \"basking rock\" - this went on for about two hours, and then she stopped. Maybe I should have left the moss there. Was it okay to get the moss off, or doesn\'t it make any difference. She has a nice hard shell and I hope I haven\'t harmed that by brushing the moss off. Thanks for any input.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Umm.. i think it would be fine to clean the moss or algea off. mabey she just dint like the feel of the toothbrush on her shell. It shouldnt have done any harm to the turtle.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

As long as you were gentle and used a soft brush to take off the moss/algae it was OK to take it off. (Turtle shells are sensitive, especially the areas in between the scutes.) If she`s rubbing her shell, does it look like she`s going to shed? Can she get completely out of the water to dry off and bask under a UVB light? Is there a lot of algae in the tank?
jzahora4554

mariza wrote:
As long as you were gentle and used a soft brush to take off the moss/algae it was OK to take it off. (Turtle shells are sensitive, especially the areas in between the scutes.) If she`s rubbing her shell, does it look like she`s going to shed? Can she get completely out of the water to dry off and bask under a UVB light? Is there a lot of algae in the tank?
jzahora4554

There didn\'t seem to be too much algae in the tank, but there was lot on her shell and on her basking rock. Yes, she can get completely out of the water and bask under her light - she stretches out her little legs a far as they will go! She only rubbed for little while, and hasn\'t done it since, so maybe it just felt a little weird at first. She ate her chicken and her regular food just like normal, so I guess she will be just fine. Thank you very much for your insight. I appreciate it ... and so does Maggie. Jackie
  • Information