Waht am I doing wrong????

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

This just started yesterday, but it is enough to worry me badly. Herk has started eating his poop. Diet for last two days is as follows: banana, reptomin, mealworm, endive, peas, chicken, some cuttlebone floating in tank. Today, changed to grapes, reptomin, mealworm, endive, chicken, romaine lettuce, banana and some cuttlebone in the tank. On Friday poop was dark green with no problem, on Saturday it was a tannish color, today it was dark green again. Herk ate poop before we could get to him. How do we handle this? Does he need to go to the vet? Diet change? Help please!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You have discovered one of the less charming behaviors of turtles--they eat their poop. Mine does it occasionally, and he seems more apt to do it in the morning before he`s fed and when he`s eaten certain foods at his previous meals. I keep a fish net handy to beat him to it and keep the water cleaner.

BTW, you have a very varied diet for your turtle. I would feed some of the foods you`re giving every day less frequently, though. Bananas are extremely high in phosphorus. A turtle eating commercial pellets and other animal matter is already getting a lot of phosphorus in the diet, and too much phosphorus inhibits the absorption of calcium. I`ve always been told if giving bananas at all to do it very occasionally. Chicken too should be an occasional treat. A guide for portion size (not the veggies) is an amount that would fit inside the head daily up to a year old. And he will continue to beg, I know. If he does, give him some more veggies.

I received your email. Thank you. I haven`t had the time to respond yet.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you, I am working on my doctorate, but not in turtles, I guess he will cause me to get one in that too. I was doing a research paper and when I saw that I freaked because it was the weekend and even though we have a herp vet I hate to bother her unless I am sure Herk is sick.
  • Information